Return to normalcy

Things are growing at hectic pace, more than normal rainfall. Persimmon tree’s are sprouting new growth at alarming speed, back to production next year, I hope! Citrus are in heavy bloom, intoxicating, what a show, this alone make you forget about polar Vortex.
Yesterday was the day that I made my last grafts, all 6 of them! 50 years of fun! Sionwood wasn’t the best. Threw away all of the rest. Hoping for a better fig year, lost my touch with them, might do better this year. Inground figs coming back. Roja Brilliante very slow coming back. Blueberry doing good after last year slow start. Wife vegetable garden doing great, first time for her.

14 Likes

I am glad things are looking up for you Bob. Everything looked flush!

@aap is that a double rootstock on the 3rd pic?

No, it’s just a low branch that needs to be removed. As the new shoots are developing, the tree needs to be clean up again.
Btw, going in the summer, I am having 600 gl rainwater available, plus wellwater, plus several garbage barrels.Drought ready till about September.

4 Likes

Thanks Tony, how’s your collection now? Your figs varieties still growing? Are you trying to fill every inch of your property? Andrew and me could supply you with fresh fish.

4 Likes

Nice View Bob. We got a late frost but now my figs are recovering at green tips again. I would love to fish in your lake.

4 Likes

Tony, what size containers will they be growing in? Not 15 gl? How about 12? All the best varieties?
I’ll end up with about 6 major varieties, 12 about total. My inground are going to be growing different, 4 branches will be held at about 14” high,per plant. Stella survived minus 7, a surprise.

They are all between 5 to 15 gallons. I lost count of the fig varieties. I just enjoy eating whatever riping first. Usually Florea and Celeste then the rest of Mountain Edna next. I wish I could grow them in-ground so no back ache moving them in for Winter protection. I am getting older in my late 50s.

1 Like

Glad to know lots of stuff is coming back for you. Everything looks very green and healthy. I have more coming out than I would have thought. My blueberries lost all their buds so no fruit this year but the bushes look absolutely fantastic!!! Much better than usual. I thought I had lost my nandinas around my house but they are coming out so beautiful. It’s almost like the freeze shocked them into heavy growth.

2 Likes

Those blueberry plants will reward you next year more than double, so no lost there. I only have 6 plants that are going in the second year, will push them for better growth this year so might have some next year. Trying something different this season, a 36 gl garbage barrel filled with rainwater, mix with some cotton seed meal, a bit micro,s and peat moss , just let it soak for a few weeks than just use that for watering. Just something new for me.

1 Like

We are getting a lot of moisture as well here in Colorado. More than normal. We generally get 15 inches and a few weeks ago there was a article published stating we had already had 7 inches of precipitation. It is quite literally raining every day this week. No need to water and our plants are growing like crazy right now because we have so much moisture. We generally wait 2 or 3 weeks to mow our lawn but our lawn is grown back to where it needs cutting in a week or less.

2 Likes

@tonyOmahaz5

More rain headed this way this year. I’m starting to feel like a duck this year. 2021 was wet for my area with fairly consistent rainfall. 2022 has had adequate moisture as well it’s odd.

@aap

The lakes are not even fully frozen over I’m not sure what impact if any this will have on my fish in my Ponds.

Was hoping to hear good news about California but their yearly snow pack isn’t good https://www.mercurynews.com/2022/01/31/california-drought-sierra-nevada-snowpack-falls-below-average they have some real problems. People pay lots in taxes but their needed desalination plants were never built. Where did that tax money go?

1 Like