Reverse or forward pto tiller?

I’m about to pull the trigger on a 5 foot pto tiller. Should I get a reverse or forward unit? Pros and cons?

Looking at a landpride 58 inch reverse unit as a possibility

I have always preferred reverse rotation tillers , if rotation of tiller shaft is what is in question. On the old , now antique tractors , the forward rotation tillers were not as aggressive in hard ground plus they would rocket launch a light weight tractor if the pto speed was still high when the clutch was disengaged . Quite comical if you were not the driver or the owner of the equipment or the building or fence at the end of the field.

1 Like

My tractor is 51 horse. Quite heavy. No launching

I spent several hours as a teenager recovering a 70 hp tractor that my grandad launched into a ditch , through a fence. He was tilling deep into some heavy clay, and was accustomed to a tractor that the clutch stopped the pto at the same time as ground drive. the new one took a few inches more travel to disengage the pto. Landed in the ditch of a dirt road, after an eight foot drop. I am sure it was an exciting ride. i have no clue how clutches on new tractors act , all mine are at least 30 years old now, one is 65.

1 Like

I believe reverse tine rotation is supposed to better till the soil. However, if you have rocky soil it is recommended you stay with forward tine rotation.

Ours is a reverse and we like it. However you’ll probably want to get one wider than your tractor. I’m assuming your 5100 is as wide as our 5200. If it doesn’t till wider than the wheels you’ll have a hard time getting a nicely tilled plot.

It is a 58 inch wide unit I’m considering

My tractor is right at that

1 Like

Sorry to hijack this thread but I have a question thats been on my mind awhile. Those with experince with a forward tine rotation, assuming reverse is a definite no, how bad would it be to run into say a 3ft piece of angle iron or something like it buried under the ground? Catastrophic to the tiller? My acerage has been around for a very long time and I’ve uncovered several things like this just under the surface. My orchard is a rough ride on the lawn mower but the possibility of hitting something like this has kept me from tilling it up and just dealing with the bumpy ride.

It depends on how it’s caught by the tines. Forward rotation usually will bounce up and over an obstacle. If it somehow became entangled in the tines you would break a shear pin or the slip-clutch would prevent severe damage. The shear pin or slip-clutch (depending on what the specific unit is assembled with) should prevent catastrophic damage.

1 Like

how wide is yours? 66?

69.7. I really think yours is the same width if it’s a mx5100

Yeah I just measured. 68 inch wide

I use a 72" Befco (German Manufacture) rebadged as a Cub Cadet. I’m able to till with a 35HP New Holland since our soil is so sandy. It’s proven quite handy for creating orchard rows.

@Codym17
In preparing a site for a neighbors new high tunnel. I suggested subsoiling the site first and deep plowing before site leveling.
As he had never plowed that area before. But had lived on the land for 40~ yrs.
We found , with the subsoiler ,
, four buried steal pipes , not connected to any thing.
Several concrete blocks
A big rock
And a 3ft x 8ft concrete 2 hole outhouse slab with CCC on it .
He had no idea any of these things were buried there.
The subsoiler on the tractor found and pulled up all these with out any equipment damage .
Now he can rototill in the high tunnel with out equipment damage.

1 Like

@Hillbillyhort I will do that as I’m confident I will find things like this, I have access to an old plow I’m assuming that’s basically the same as a subsoiler? I talked to someone about this and they suggested I do it in the fall and wait until spring to till do you find that necessary or go straight to tilling?

1 Like

Fall is good. , anytime ok .