Reviewing Nurseries

Would hope so after charging you the cost of 5 trees. They are still 3 trees up.

1 Like

They have to pay for those top-of-the page ads in MSN and Google somehow. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Has anyone had experience with Van Wells Nursery with rootstock?

They seem to be the only nursery I can find that gives a caliper choice for purchasing OHxF87.

By looking at the caliper of first year Asian pear growth, the rootstock I bought last year would be too small to graft the Asian pear to without growing out for a year.

I may buy a bundle and see if anyone here wants what I don’t need.

You could always attempt a z graft or other method if you can’t track something down.

1 Like

I’m trying the easiest ways first. T&G worked well for me in my first year grafting.

Chip grafting is an option too for scion too large for the rootstock.

1 Like

(directing to a more appropriate thread)

Barn Door might be the ticket.

Assuming this is in response to my posts.

The barn door method is basically a chip bud, or T-bud graft. Nice.

My issue is rootstock diameter being too small for the scion.

The bark will be exceedingly thin with such a small whip of a rootstock, so any method relying on a flap or flaps of bark won’t work.

Chip bidding is an option for sure, though my 60 year old hands might not be up for the delicate task.

I am thinking of getting a bundle and grafting enough that a few succeed, then planting them out. The company I referenced allows for caliper choice in the order so the best bet is to do that and march the scion caliper.

It certainly will be a learning experience which I enjoy.

So that nursery only sells grafted trees…

I was not too happy with the Fast Growing Tree customer service. The trees I got instantly started to wilt and they at first were naming which of the varieties they had on their multi grafted trees were and changed it after I had purchased it. I called them stating they were dying and they said to just wait 3 weeks later. I called and got a replacement only for the same thing to happen. I bought a bubblegum tree from them and Stark Bros and my bubblegum tree from Stark Bros is still alive but my tree from Fast Growing trees died. I have a pecan tree from Stark Bros in it’s place.

What I can say about Rock Bridge Trees is their trees have survived some cold temps. I bought a pecan tree from them and it survived a -15 day to a -10 day to to a -8 day back to back. I bought 2 JT 02 persimmon from him and did a scratch test on it after a -1 day to a -10 to a 1 degree day time span and they still are showing green. Some stuff has shown die back the last 2 years but these trees they sent have not.

2 Likes

I just checked my Major pecan. It was brown so maybe it could survive one year but not the next. I think the first year I put a frost cloth over it and it lived. This year I did not put a frost cloth over the Major pecan from Rock Bridge and the sure crop and hardy giant from Stark Bros seemed to survive while the major seems to have died.

I know this comment is old, but I just thought it strange that your mailman will not just take the package to your porch. I live in a rural area and my USPS mailman delivers ALL kinds of packages to me all the time. If it’s too large to fit in my mailbox he just pulls into our driveway and leaves the package on the porch.

The only thing we have ever picked up from the post office is baby chicks before we moved to using a hatchery that has their own delivery drivers and about 15 years ago we were asked to pick up a bee package.

Anyway, I received an order of Myoga Ginger from Edible Acres yesterday. It was packed very well and someone even wrote a personal note in response to something I wrote when ordering. Also, I ordered 3 roots and they gave me 5, two of which were prime. The other two were good, just not as big, but they were free, so I’m not at all complaining!

Shaun has a video about how to plant them, so I watched it and planted all 5 right away in different areas of the property.

So far, so good. Giving them 5 stars at this point.

2 Likes

Yes it probably does seem strange. I live up a private drive about 1/2 mile with a gate and dogs. The price i pay to not get home delivery is privacy.

My PO box does all that i need it to do for USPS.

I have UPS and FedEx sent to my friends house. They quit caring about names matching the homeowner years ago.

YMMV but that is my current situation.

1 Like

There are a few rules that carriers can use to not deliver packages to someone’s front porch. The address needs to be less than a 1/4 mile long, has to have a way to turn around without backing up (carriers are told to never back up in academy) and if there are animals outside the carrier can scan things animal interference. If a package was too big the carriers in my office would also refuse to deliver it but that was more so due to their laziness from my understanding. Rural carriers are paid on evaluation and not hourly so it is in their best interest to be able to can every parcel they can as packages take the longest to deliver. Mail takes seconds per house but packages take minutes. When I am alone on Saturday I will do the letters and it will take me a hour and something to do hundreds to over a thousand letters sometimes up to 2,000 letters but 100 packages takes me 2-3 hours. Like I said I am not dismounting and bringing the letters up a long driveway so it would take the carriers even longer. That is why carriers will try to take out all the packages they can from routes on the rural side. City carriers are paid hourly and that is why it is not ad evident with this type of thing happening.

5 Likes

That makes sense.

A nice little nursery in Maine. I talked to the owner and will probably order a couple of pears, a plum and a peach. Prices are pretty fair but shipping is pretty high at $80. I called to talk to the owner and they said that they ship with large roots and pack them in moist stuffs… so the packages are heavy. I asked about shipping and he said that it doesnt matter to them USPS, UPS or FedEx whatever i want. That was refreshing.

Take a look and maybe something you have been looking for like Kosui pear which is pretty hard to find right now. They have some other interesting pears as well.

2 Likes

I thought I recognized the name. These folks bought winter cove farm a former fruit tree nursery. Haven’t done business with them but glad to hear it was a pleasant experience :+1:

3 Likes

I was going to tag you and @steveb4 but i forgot to.

Yes he said his favorite peach in that location is Sugar Giant and the Red Clapps pear is doing great for them there… both have threads on here as well as Kosui pear and Vision plum that they carry.

I think they have alot more than their site suggests as they are sold out of alot of things…

You can find most of what they sell online but you would have to buy from several nurseries to do so…which made the shipping cost make sense to me.

Regardless he was very nice to talk to and i will likely order a couple of things that i dont have.

On the flipside i have a couple of orders at Ison’s and talking to them has been impossible for two months. They do not answer any of my emails and i have tried to call about 15 times. They have a great reputation and i am sure that i will get what i ordered…but their customer service has been a 0/10 for me.

They post on FB several times a day but cannot answer the phone or emails…which is strange.

2 Likes

I posted a link to some raspberries that were a good deal on Ebay a couple of weeks ago. I received my order and they were wineberries. I messaged the owner and they said that their nephews must have shipped the wrong thing. (How do you ship someone wineberry plants that you dont sell)? Anyways i asked for them to do the right thing and send me what i paid for. They rapidly replied back that first thing monday morning they would ship out the correct plants.

One week has passed…nothing arrived and they have stopped replying.

I have had really good success with Ebay/Etsy but these guys are fraudsters.

I think they messed up with the cheap pricing and free shipping and then found a way out by sending me wineberries… anyways im gonna get my money back and give them some grief.

Im going to Take It To The Limit One More Time - Eagles

2 Likes

The good thing for buyers on Ebay is if the items arrives not as described or broken you can file that on your return and the seller has to accept it as well as pay return postage. I think the only issue is you have 3 days to send it back and they can give you a ground shipping label hoping you don’t have a box. I had to do this last Christmas. I bought a crystal Christmas tree and the part that holds the Christmas tree had fallen off because the seller did not protect it in transit. When I looked at it the Christmas tree had many holes on it that were not really shown on the listing. The seller had put it in a small box with no cushioning/padding. I took a picture of the holes in it and how it was in 2 pieces. The seller was furious stating they had been selling on Ebay for over 20 years and accusing me of lying stating it was in like new condition when they sent it. They had to accept it though because of Ebay policy. I guess they have the power to blacklist you from their shop but do you really want to buy from someone who sent you a broken item or the wrong item? A lot of times you hear about sellers complaining about getting scammed but you never hear about the buyers getting scammed.

2 Likes