Rice Porridge Hot, Rice Porridge Cold, Rice porrage in the pot days old and counting

So my wife is Caribbean and one of there traditional holiday foods is the Pastele. Its corn masa with meat filling wrapped and steamed in a Banana leaf. I know it sounds like a Tamale, because it is a Tamale, just don’t ever say that around a Caribbean person unless your trying to get a dirty look. So like Tamales, every home has there own recipe, Grandma or Auntie’s Pastele’s are the best and nothing I can make tastes right Just because.

So I decided if I cant make Pastels I will just make Tameles. I read a bunch of internet recipes to get an idea. start off with a small batch. Do the corn husk thing. Steam. My wife seems to like the “Mexican Cornbread” so great.

So not to rest on my laurels and perfect Tamales I decided to make sticky rice /w dried fruit wrapped in banana leaves. I am kind of mixing the Korean version with the SE Asia versions and doing my own thing with raisins, cranberries, figs, prunes and apricots. I have made glutinous rice before so I was not worried. But the extra moisture and the simmer with coconut milk had me worried.

So proceed stuff my leaves and steamed them. My wife would not touch them because they looked like they might be slimy in texture, even though they where not. My daughter only eats white rice wouldn’t touch them and I am a diet so I have no carbs for me.

But I continue on. I decide to tune the rice into Jiu niang or rice punch. If you ever had that clear drink at a Korean restaurant with the little rice bits floating in it, thats the stuff. So I have done this before in my Instant Pot and it turned out quite good. After three days the rice will be liquid, sweet and sparkling. A few days later the punch will turn to a sake like drink especially if I add wine yeast.

Why this is crazy is there coconut milk and salt in this concoction. Who knows how this is going to turn out.

6 Likes

wow sounds a lot of fun experimenting. I use instant pot to make jiu niang in 24 hours,the yogurt setting,what kind yeast did you use?

Have you try the fermented rice? This bowl got a good ETOH% and eating too much can give you a good buzzed.

Recipe please but put it into the food category, thanks, MrsG

Fermented sweet rice or regular rice? I have never try to ferment regular rice. Jiu niang is fermented sweet rice

The yeast is actualy a combination of mold and yeast. The mold created enzymes that convert the starches into sugar. Then the yeast can convert the sugars in to alcohol. Its sold at my local Asian grocery store in little balls.
chinese-fermented-sweet-rice-jiu-niang2%5B1%5D

1 Like

This is an experimental batch. I made it before it can get very potent. Its basicly on rice on its way to being sake.

1 Like

I use same yeast and other brand too. Just make a batch recently.IMG_20181212_184053130_HDR

1 Like

Rice Wine Dessert

@IL847, @mrsg47
The tricky part about making this desert is figuring out the right ratio of yeast to rice. Too much or too little yeast can result in mold growing on the rice. The bottom line is you’re making wine, thus everything should be clean, dry, and accurately measured.

If Using Hong Kong Yeast:

-1 wine yeast ball (approx. 8g, about the diameter of a US quarter)

-1kg white or brown glutinous rice

If Using Vietnamese Yeast:

-1/2kg white or brown glutinous rice

-2 wine yeast balls (approx 5g, diameter about the size a US dime) or 5 small yeast balls (approx. 7g, diameter about 3/4 of a US dime)

What to Do:

Wash rice a few times; soak for a few hours (the longer you soak, the faster the rice will cook). If using brown glutinous rice than soak and cook as you would normal rice (in a pot with water). If using white glutinous rice, cook the rice by steaming. The rice should be tender and moist. Grind yeast into a powder. Spread cooked rice on a large tray and cool until warm. Sprinkle yeast over rice and mix. Wet hands with saltwater solution and form rice into small balls (this step is optional). Place rice balls in a clean and dry container, cover tightly and place in a warm place for rice to ferment.

How long it takes for the wine to mature depends on the temperature at which it ferments. The process usually takes a few days. After a few days there should be plenty of wine in the container…enough for the rice balls to float in. The longer you ferment the stronger the wine will be. Serve “young wine” as a dessert. “Over-fermented” wine could be used to make Bánh Bò in place of the yeast or, the wine could be filtered, boiled and use as a drinking wine or, to soak spices to make cooking wine.

Saltwater Solution for Shaping Rice Balls:

-1 cup warm water

-1/2 tsp salt

*Dissolve salt in water, the solution should have the saltiness of soup.

2 Likes