Ripe before its time

This Goldrush apple dropped from my pear Frankentree today. At 3"x3" it appears to be average for this variety but way early than I anticipated. Several other GR looks like they are near ready. I’m a little disappointed in that I wanted these to be late hangers like last year.

2 Likes

How was the taste? All my goldrush (7 of them) rotted, attacked by brids, and ruined. No fireblight on the tree this year after last year’s devastation, even though a wetter spring and summer.

1 Like

It had a good taste. Sweet/tart. Probably would get a little sweeter with a little storage time. I had a couple more dropped that had turned more gold color and they were excellent.

I grafted your scions to my frankentree and they’ve done well- I never thought I had a good chance of getting fruit that ripened properly this far north, but maybe I will!

2 Likes

I think some of my GR ripen early from being bagged and our summer heat.

2 Likes

One of mine in a plastic bag has a spot like sunburn so I took a bag off that GR. The rest have no such burn, so far.

Mine won’t ripen until Nov if I am lucky.

2 Likes

Three more drops this morning so I picked the others off this limb. This is the GR limb that gets the most sunlight and this might be why it ripened so early.

3 Likes

I had a few that rotted but I picked these off as I noticed them. My initial lack of heavy thinning made picking these off a little easier. When I removed a few damaged ones the ratio of fruit to leaf seemed okay. Hope you have a better season next year.

1 Like

Hey Auburn, nice looking GR. Did you have rot on the bagged ones? I’m trying to decide whether bagging helps with the rot. Seemed like it helped last year but I did not keep good enough notes. I had over 50 big GR that rotted this year. No bags. Only one left hanging. Still green. I agree that bags ripen them early.

All my GR was in bags so I don’t have a comparison for none bagged. I did have some spots that started to rot but I picked these as I noticed them. With my light thinning of fruit the limbs still had enough. I didn’t spray these with anything but the CAR is heavy in some areas. I’m still so new to growing GR it is hard to determine how they will do long term but I am getting more fruit each year.

I have a few other varieties that I’m growing that might also do well in our area. I’m just getting started with Sundance, Mutsu, and Enterprise which might grow well here.

Just ate 2 of the smaller GR. I go back and forward between it and Pink Lady as to which is best. Glad I don’t have to just go with one of them.

I finally took a picture of the sunburn ( I think) GR. The dark spot on the lower part of the apple. The top two marks were animal bites that just occurred within the last 12 hours ( I checked my fruit everyday, can you tell?).

The rest are still in bags.

1 Like

What do you think makes some apples drop as they get closer to ripe but are not ripe? I had ten Parks Pippins on my tree two weeks ago; today there are four. They dropped (inside electric fence) with no sign of nibbling or animal predation. BTW Parks Pippin is an excellent tart/sweet apple but gets more than its share of FB.

1 Like

I think several factors contributing to early fruit dropping including unusual weather (too dry, too hot, too wet), maturity of the tree, not thinning enough, etc.

On my Honey Crisp, I thought I thinned enough but as fruit grow and expand, there are too many of them. Most of my HC that dripped so far were small ones that were squeezed out by the stronger ones ( so I believe).

2 Likes