Rojo Brillante persimmons?

I was going to ask about the trap. What’d you bait it with?

1 Like

No, i don’t do nothing but wait till they feel kind of soft. My wife freeze them, she probably still have a couple bags in the freezer. For a person that don’t like fruits of all kinds, she sure take a liking to persimmons.

3 Likes

Most of my tree’s i would say are all late, except Sayo’s than K.b.s’s, this one start kind of early then later. Here is one that i grafted a few years ago, don’t know what it is but it probably a decent one, will see.

Turn in a beautiful little tree,8’ tall.

2 Likes

Catfood in a little can tied to the back.

2 Likes

Sure am looking for someone to send me some rojo brilliante budwood in the spring.

Hi Phil if you hang around here for awhile you will get access to the exchange forum where you can post trades and see what other people have to trade.

You are lucky to have the rojo brilliante. Englands doesn’t have it any more as his kakis nearly all froze out.

You can get on the wait list at JF&E. They get them occasionally (and sell out really quickly!)

I’ve been looking at the Rojo Brillante and the Giombo Persimmon. I have room for one more persimmon tree but not sure which is for me in my area. I live in Pensacola Florida which means it’s hot and humid and my soil is sandy. I feel in love the astringent variety after buying a bag of persimmons from publics labled honey persimmons and they were amazing. Problem is i don’t know what variety it was. I know it wasn’t hachiya cause i tried them, they were good but no honey persimmon, lol.

Any recommendations as to which tree i should consider?

Thanks

My favorite Kaki so far is Giombo. But I also like coffee cake and Maru. The latter two require a second tree for pollination.
Both RB and Giombo will do great in your area. RB has a more sweet/cinnamon flavor. Giombo has a lighter maybe citrusy flavor.

2 Likes

Do you know if thier heavy fruiters, fast growing trees?

I have RB and it is a vigorous grower. I grafted Giombo again this year after my graft last year failed. To me it is a must-have – assuming it ripens in my cool climate.
Both fruits I got from a generous member here. My RB hasn’t borne fruit yet. Hopefully this year. I did hear that it takes a long time to lose astringency so it may require a very long season. Not a problem at all in Florida.

Thanks ramv, that would be nice if i could get sion for both. I have a fuyu to graft to. I’ve looked high and low for sion hince the reason I’ve decided to get one tree. Maybe I’ll get lucky and someone will offer some. If not I’ll probably purchase the Giombo from JFE and hopefully it will be true to type.

My RB is leafed out. I’ll know if I haveextra Giombo scionwood in about a month

Thank you sir

Here is website advertising those honey persimmons i ate which were much better than Hachiya. They were soft but claim you can eat them hard. Scroll to bottom of page and you’ll see how they packaged them. Looked exactly like Hachiya in size and shape but far better tasting.

1 Like

Interesting, looks like a new variety probably bred from Hachiya…

I was thinking it might be Tipo (Europe) or Triumph (From Israel)

1 Like

These look identical to Rojo Brillante. I suspect that Honey Persimmons is just a marketing brand name.

2 Likes

That’s why I’m trying to get giombo and rojo brilliante sion wood. I must have purchased a dozen bags at publics super market eating these thing, so good.

Im thinking it may be rojo brillante cause i read somewhere you can co2 treat to rid astringency thus est them hard also. But all the ones i ate were soft.

1 Like