Rojo Brillante persimmons?

It appears to be a very popular variety in Europe/Spain but almost unknown here. Is there anyone growing this here in the US?
When does it ripen? How does it compare flavor wise with other astringent persimmons such as Saijo or Hachiya? I like the soft, pudding like texture and flavor of the astringent persimmons and dont really care that much for the ‘Fuyu’ type.

We have relatively cool summers in the Pacific Northwest: Fuyu doesn’t ripen some years here. Would Rojo Brillante require a lot of degree days to ripen?

Thanks!

3 Likes

PersimmonBob had a nice large Rojo Brillante that fruited for him in Arkansas. I have a 2 years old potted Rojo Brillante from PersimmonBob’s scion

I think ScottSmith grafted one over the stump of his Winter killed Hachiya.

Tony

2 Likes

I now grow about 20 r/b’s and producing a lot of fruits for the third year and have more this year if the weather stays decent. The taste is very good maybe a little less than Giombo. This variety is the one to grow if you like asian type persimmon. Friends and neighbors all like them a lot and they are already asking (when… )

1 Like

Hi Bob, thanks for your response!

When does it ripen compared with other Asians? Is it early, mid season or late? I am only familiar with Nishimura Wase, Chocolate, Hachiya, Jiro and Saijo.

1 Like

Sayo is not too shabby( a keeper) way smaller but excellent. I grew about 12 varieties at one time now scale down to maybe 5 some just grow here and there.
About 7 giombo’s, R/B’s, Sayo’s, 5 K.B.S’s the rest are some Fuyu’s and what not.

R.B.

6 Likes

To you treat them to remove the astringency while firm?

1 Like

The deer munched it badly last year and it barely woke up and then died this spring :frowning: I hope to add it back eventually.

2 Likes

Beautiful tree. When do they ripen for you approximately? Are they early, mid or late season in your area?

2 Likes

I have (2) 2nd year grafted Rojo B. that I might get to taste off 1 this year. Thanks PBob. One I thing I noted this year both were very late to leaf out, The latest of all my Kaki. I hope this is a trait that continues as late cold snaps are my curse with Kaki.

3 Likes

Phil,

pBob has high regards for Giombo taste. Are you in the same boat with Bob?

Tony

1 Like

I have not fruited my own Giombo except 1 fruit off a limb grafted on my Tamopan tree, and a couple from Gionbo which I am almost 100% is just a different spelling used by Chestnut Hill Nursery. It was good but just a couple fruits from a young then in pot tree, and did not match Saijo or Hao River for me yet. It seemed late/slow to lose astringency as well, but not passing judgement yet. My original Giombo from JF&E fruited out to be a large productive fruiting Non Astringent so not Giombo and I was setback a few years. It has turned out to be one of my favorite NAs however.

2 Likes

Do you guys see what is in the trap? Your favorite pat? a racoon.

2 Likes

I was going to ask about the trap. What’d you bait it with?

1 Like

No, i don’t do nothing but wait till they feel kind of soft. My wife freeze them, she probably still have a couple bags in the freezer. For a person that don’t like fruits of all kinds, she sure take a liking to persimmons.

3 Likes

Most of my tree’s i would say are all late, except Sayo’s than K.b.s’s, this one start kind of early then later. Here is one that i grafted a few years ago, don’t know what it is but it probably a decent one, will see.

Turn in a beautiful little tree,8’ tall.

2 Likes

Catfood in a little can tied to the back.

2 Likes

Sure am looking for someone to send me some rojo brilliante budwood in the spring.

Hi Phil if you hang around here for awhile you will get access to the exchange forum where you can post trades and see what other people have to trade.

You are lucky to have the rojo brilliante. Englands doesn’t have it any more as his kakis nearly all froze out.

You can get on the wait list at JF&E. They get them occasionally (and sell out really quickly!)