Romance series cherries in Arizona (8a)

Just discovered this thread, loved the pictures, absolutely beautiful country where you’re at. How much rain do you get? What are the seasons like temperature and precipwise?

Rain fall varries. We have a dry season before summer rains every year that makes irrigation a must. That is what we are doing today, leveling the ground around the pear and cherry trees prepping for putting in sprinklers.

There were fences that have been removed. Lots of little ups and downs too.

It gets warm in the summers. Highs usually 90’s but up to 105. Not usually much snow.
We have seen below zero temps…but not often.
Apricots usually get frosted out, but we get em on a good year. Dont know what else to say, but its a good place to grow up.

4 Likes

How cool does it get on an average summer night? Whats an average high in say mid January?

I remember going to a wedding in August. We left the Phoenix valley and it was 105 after 8 pm. By the time we got home the temp was under 70.
Some January days are shirt sleeve, but we get cold fronts too.
This year we had a storm drop us 18 inches. The most we’ve seen at a time in over 20 years.

1 Like

Hey Jolene,

What rootstock were those guys on? the roots look AWESOME!

1 Like

Seems like a nice place to live. Sounds like you can get out and play in the dirt almost year round! I’m getting sick of Minnesota and having 5 months between gardening seasons. . .

2 Likes

There is a nice ten acre property close to us. Asking over a million though.

Here we like what little winter weather we get, because its the only time we don’t have work to do outdoors.

As a native of this state though I really can’t imagine living places that have long winters, or almost daily rain/clouds…or forests of trees either. We have sunshine and spectacular views from the mountains.
Some say that home is where your heart. For me it’s where you put down roots. Mine are here. Most of our children were born in this same house their dad was born in. This is home!

4 Likes

Romance series cherries are on their own roots.
The way they grow is very much like the Myrobalan 29c we bought a couple years ago.
Those grow vigorous shallow systems that look like a spider’s legs when dug up.
Work when transplanting!

2 Likes

Hubby and I were out just before dark last night looking at the trees and plantings. We pulled a bunch of cherries off the Carmine Jewel bushes we transplanted. I havent looked at the set on plants still in the nursery, but we won’t pick those green.
I’ll snap a picture when I get a chance.

Romeo bushes are trying to set a bunch too. Next year aught to be good!

4 Likes