Root stocks for Georgia

Based on some awesome advice from Chris from GA I am going to add a contender peach and goldrush apple to my orchard. Stark brothers has dwarf varieties in stock. The dwarf apple uses either m26 or m9 root stock and the contender dwarf peach is based on the peach red leaf seedling root stock. Anyone happen to know how well these will do in Georgia? Been reading all morning but I can’t seem to find a consensus on these.

Goldrush is supposed to do well here, though it is susceptible to CAR. There is a U-Pick place in north Georgia that has it (http://www.hillcrestorchards.net/) so I’m going to give it a try as well.

I have Contender peach and it does well also. It was recommended to me by Johnson Nursery.

Brad

I believe M9 is highly susceptible to fire blight so that doesn’t sound good for Georgia.

Hi Mickster & Gardening Family,
I can’t give you any advice on the contender peach or any type of apples, but I can tell you that you won’t waste your money on the Halehaven or Elberta peach trees, if you don’t own them already…Although they are high chill, they do great hear in Georgia. I harvested nearly 200 peaches from just 2 dwarf trees. I got big really nice sized peaches from the Elberta, and medium from the Halehaven and none of them had any blemishes. They tasted great. They were sweet with a nice mild acid tone but full of ripe delicious peach flavor. What did I do with all those peaches? I gave my whole-swallowing- peach-eating brother, (Yes, he swallows peaches whole after spitting out the seed-LOL) a basket full and I made peach jam with all the rest. I gave a lot to family members and some I took to work and sold…I know you did not ask for these type of peach trees but if you ever run across them at the nursery or the big box stores, you won’t be disappointed if you make a purchase…

Awesome ahgrower. Where did you buy your trees from? I may pick up an Elberta as well. :slight_smile:

I got 3 of each of these 2 types of peach trees. In total, I have about 12 peach trees. The elberta, I bought 1 from Home Depot -semi dwarf, One from Walmart-dwarf, and one from a nursery called “Burgers Market”-dwarf, which is located on highway 78 in Douglasville GA. The Halehaven, semi-dwarf, I bought one from Lowes, I bought one from Home Depot-semi-dwarf, and I bought one from Burgers Market-dwarf. I keep all my trees at 5 and 1/2 feet. I also have a dwarf harvester peach tree, 1 babcock white fleshed peach tree, semi dwarf, and 2 Georgia Belle semi-dwarf which is a high chill tree as well. When I first bought these trees 5 years ago, I did not know that I was paying for things that were not necessary acclimated to our region. I bought them because they were there. I spray about 3 times a year according to what they require, I fertilize once a year with a mixture of homemade compost (aged horse manure, kitchen scraps, leaves, grass clippings) with everything fully decomposed. My fruit trees love it. Although my soil is heavy clay, I add some of that to the mix as well and I have no problems with my trees. Some of them I have in containers as you may have read in other posts. I do this so that I don’t lose any fruit due to the late freezes. Of course, it was not always that way, with trial and error I learned a lot from my garden family and I am still learning. I just wanted to share this with you so maybe you can gain something from all of their expertise. Anyway, I hope this info helps you to some extent…

Just sent you a PM Mickster, I recommend getting your trees from Cummins where you know the rootstock.

I’m in Georgia, and I’ve had one tree on M26 and one on M7, in different locations, wiped out by phytophthora root/crown rot. One I’ll take the blame for over-watering, but the other was in excellent draining soil, on a slope, without a lot of supplemental water.
Both of these rootstocks are known to be susceptible:
http://nysipm.cornell.edu/factsheets/treefruit/diseases/phyt/phyt.asp
or susceptible/highly susceptible
http://articles.extension.org/pages/60608/table-of-apple-rootstock-susceptibility-to-phytophthora-spp

I won’t be using either M26 or M7 again, since there are so many other choices. If you knew for sure they were on M9, it’s supposed to be moderately resistant.

2 Likes

Mick,

Chris and Haldog have it right. Know your rootstock.

For apples, best to use the Geneva rootstocks found at Cummins Nursery, etc. 111 and B.9 rootstocks might also work for you.

For peaches in heavy clay, consider Lovell, Citation, Halford & Guardian. Where nematodes are a problem, use Nemaguard.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Chris from GA was awesome once again and gave me some root stock recommendations. Placed my order last night w/ Cummins and am looking forward to eating some peaches one day!

1 Like

Thanks Matt In Maryland, Chris & Haldog! I am still learning and while I do have a couple of pluot trees on citation, I have no idea what the others are. When I shop this spring, I am gonna order from Cummings too. This is why I love this forum, I get accurate knowledge as I will put it right to use. Again, Thanks, I cannot grow peaches on beginners luck forever! LOL. You guys are great!

1 Like

Cummins is a great nursery. I’ve had nothing but good experiences with them.

1 Like

Good folks. They have treated me very well.

I thought it interesting Purdue listed Elberta as one of the more rot resistant peaches in one of their newsletters from last season, which would be a good thing for a low spray program.

I don’t grow Elberta, but I have a neighbor who does. He never sprays it, and I’ve noticed the peaches have little rot. It is fairly susc. to bac. spot, which is one of my biggest problems growing peaches here in the lower Midwest.

Redleaf is a very fine peach rootstock here.

3 Likes