Root suckers on grafted persimmons

How do you deal with root suckers from your grafted persimmons on native rootstock? Do any of you use a product such as Sucker Stopper?

Just prune them off daily, they steal your growth energy away from your graft

1 Like

They are coming out away from the trunk from the soil. I have pruned them back and they come right back with more growth.

My persimmon root suckers come up as far as 30ft from the mother tree. And the mother tree isn’t over 8ft x8ft. I guess roots go beyond the drip line…lol

I don’t have a control beyond cutting them back.

I may try a product such as this one. Amazon.com

I have another persimmon tree that does that also. It is planted next to a fence along a road and it puts out suckers in the roadside ditch across the fence. The cows must keep them out of the pasture because I never see suckers in the pasture.

1 Like

I had a Black Mission fig tree do the same, I had gotten tired of chasing suckers, so I tried a technique that might work for you. My tree suckers did not surface more than a couple feet from the trunk, so I tied a woven plastic bag around the tree trunk very tight and the spread the woven material out around the trunk beyond where the suckers were sprouting. On top of the woven material I place 3” bark dust to completely deny all sunlight. Suckers stopped! End of story! After two years I removed the woven bags, now no suckers! The woven material would allow the tree to obtain water while cutting out the sunlight, without sunlight growth inhibited! Worth trying.

Dennis
Kent, wa

1 Like

My Asian pear has a root sucker, so I decided to put a grow bag with dirt on it, somehow that stopped the sucker. This tree has sucker every year until I did that.

There is for sure a market for american persimmons. So you can look at it as an opportunity instead of a burden.

Deer lovers and Deer hunters would like to have them. Wildlife lovers would also love to have them.

They are great forage for nature…and birds will travel many miles for them.

So my vote is to pot them up… and sell them or give them away locally to folks into wildlife.

The suckers on this young tree are coming out 3-4 inches from the trunk, too close to dig up without damaging the main tree.

Here is picture of suckers that I cut off yesterday. I have another tree that I cut the suckers as close as I could and they sent out more sprouts so I cut these longer.

Overall, the tree is growing well, second year inground.

well you could always cut them and stick them in pots for rooted cuttings instead of digging…

then there is a tree ring… they are pretty cheap.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. That may work. I have tried placing bricks over them on another tree and they just pushed out the edge of the bricks and kept growing.

What if you let them grow and then graft them to something you like, sort of two trees in a hole type of thing

I think for the long term it would be best to just keep one tree growing.

1 Like

I would cut those to the ground, and keep removing them as they appear.