Rooted cuttings 2023

I’ve gotten goji to root easily as well… (if only I liked them)

Kiwi has been pretty easy for me too.

Figs, currants and gooseberries are among the easiest.

Scott

I’ve never had luck with rooting root cuttings, though (even figs)

1 Like

One go hand in hand with the other.

1 Like

Alright thank you guys!

After 3 weeks the farthest these cuttings have gone are these white dots in the bark, are these the starts of roots? It has been like this for a week and a half. Is there a specific thing I should do to convince roots to grow as these are already on bottom heat with the air temp around 70F.

Seems like calluse.you have to be patient

1 Like

There are other spots that I noticed which have turned from white to brown, is this not good?

Brown probably not a good sign. The calluse I saw were all white

Here is a pic so it can be visualized better.

I can’t tell either way by looking at the picture.it doesn’t look brown to me, just off white

I do hope this callous will produce root soon :grinning:

1 Like

i usualy don’t “mess with” cuttings to much. Every time you take it out of the rooting mix and put it back in you risk damaging it.

The first step (callous formation) seems to have gone fine.

Now the hard part, waiting for roots and not digging it up…
I root things in clear containers now. So i can see roots instead of needing to dig things up.

5 Likes

If you are interested in reducing the chance of rot, I recommend Drew’s method I’ve begun to use- straight diatomaceous earth.

1 Like

I will try his mix. In the past , I used somewhat DE mix without success. I can try again and follow Drew’s ingredients and portion. With shipping costs is so high, it is convenient to root a few rootstocks if this is possible.

I remember you mentioning that a while back. How does it compare with perlite or vermiculite? Of the two, including different sizes/grades, like coarse vermiculite. It seems to have the best balance of water capacity vs: porosity. The fine stuff can pack kind of tight. I’d think DE would be similar. Perlite dries out to fast IME. though I like it better than vermiculite in a potting / starting mix since it adds so much porosity.

it works about the same as coarse vermiculite but also adds silica and micronutrients. i like to mix a little coir in there with it as well.

1 Like

I tried DE only but failed. On the heating mat, it dry faster than you think.

i dont use a heat mat. i mainly root stuff that doesnt need heat to root like currants and elder. maybe add some coir to it to see if it retains water better or cover the top of the pot with saran wrap.

1 Like

Do you have a thermostat included in your setup? Some heat mats do not include them and you have to purchase separately.

The nice thing about DE is you could water daily as long as you put proper draining holes in your pot and it won’t retain too much moisture. I usually water weekly at a minimum if using a heat mat.

Can’t control the heating level. But my problem is either too dry or too wet

Hmmm… You might need a controller too. Rooting figs I haven’t had any issues with the DE using the heat mat and a controller. My only issue has been fungus gnats getting in from other nearby soil from seed starting.