Rooting citrus cuttings?

Dunstan is really getting going now, though I just gave it a little fish emulsion because it looks pale:

The Sudachi has a few shoots growing, too:

Not the Ichandrin, though the leaves do still look ok:

4 Likes

I had Yuzu leaves stay green for over a year, and absolutely no hint of thinking about rooting when I eventually went to transplant it. I’m interested to see how yours do.

3 Likes

I had an yuzu and flying dragon create roots this spring after forever in the potting medium.

3 Likes

Now that it’s starting to sprout new growth, I’ll probably separate them and pot them up sometime this week or next week, so I’ll update this thread whenever I do that.

1 Like

What temperature are you guys rooting in? I would think very hot and humid would be good for success rates. After having good luck with other plants in on concrete in Houston summer that’s my go to look.

I didn’t know there was a great incompatibility for mandarin and lemon. Does that hold true for meyer lemon? I was going to try air layering or rooting meyer lemon, then using that as root stock to try learning grafting. Are there any other incompatibilities?

3 Likes

This chart assumes that Meyer lemon is the grafted variety rather than the rootstock, but it’s mostly ?? because they are usually own-rooted so less data on compatibility. Interesting they are not compatible with Swingle.

Source:

4 Likes

Forgot to answer this bit. I rooted them in pots in my greenhouse, with some periods on heating pads when there’s space, but often just on the ground in there when other things need the heat. Here’s the chart for my greenhouse temperatures since I started rooting the Dunstan, Yuzu, and Sudachi in the fall:

4 Likes

Is that Yuzu Ichandrin?!

1 Like

@swincher that chart is very interesting. All the more reason for me to air layer my plants and try them without trifoliate root stock. Especially for the 6 mandarin…

I swear these companies do grafting in part so after a hard winter or incompatibility takes hold you come back and buy another. I have 6 mandarin I bought this year and I’m betting they are all on trifoliate. Plus a Cara Cara that has failed to thrive for years. I’m the bright side I have that one buried deep and it is rooting from Cara Cara stem.

1 Like

Indeed it is. I was just about to give up on the entire operation when I discovered this one. So I decided to leave them all a little longer and found a flying dragon recently rooted.

4 Likes

Sudachi was basically 100% success rate, with the all 5 of them showing at least a little root. The ones with more top growth had more roots, so seemed like a strong correlation. Makes sense to wait for top growth before checking for roots, I think

Still no growth for the yuzu ichandrin, so I’ll wait on that one.

5 Likes

Yuzu started showing bud growth, so I potted them up last night. 75% rooted (3 out of 4), and nice looking callus on the only one without roots, so hopefully it’ll root soon, too.

8 Likes

Are you going to try the dunstan outside? One Green World has a fairly nice dunstan the lives outside in the front near the parking lot.

2 Likes

Nice! You’ve got the touch.

Hopefully the Prague roots up just as well as the yuzu. I’d like to get lots of Pragues distributed to people in the PNW. Gonna be a while until I can take cuttings from the Prague to try rooting. It’s just a twig at this point.

6 Likes

Decided to check these for roots, and I’m already at 45% success (5 out of 11), with all the rest still green:

4 Likes

That one (the one that started this thread, from a stem on a grocery store fruit) is looking pretty nice now:

9 Likes

Another way to think about the flying dragon or standard trifoliate rootstock is that after a hard freeze you’ll at least still have something to graft onto once it come back. Of course, it’s possible the roots of a named cultivar might live just as well. Does anybody know how the roots of these more sensitive citrus fare after really hard freezes?

2 Likes

Even though it’s very unlikely to survive, I’m going to see if maybe the roots will at least make it through a hopefully mild winter, so I planted out this one today. It has some nice looking roots at least:

8 Likes

Well not only is it still going strong, it appears to be pushing a new flush:

So far the fall/winter low is only 28°F in my yard, though. I expect it’ll get at least one more serious test than that before the end of winter.

5 Likes

Picking ripe orange from your own tree is the best. Hope the small thing survive. If it did, it will more amazing if the fruits can survive the under 30 degree weather. Once, it’s able to bloom flowers and fruits.