Rootstock root system when grafting

Continuing the discussion from Anyone using hot callusing?:

I’ll be receiving some bareroot rootstock soon. Based on the following quote from the article, I should wait a few weeks for the rootstock to establish their roots before attempting grafting. I’m guessing 3 weeks should be enough. That will bring me to the first week of May. Is it better to wait a year?

Quote from article:
Quality of the root system has a pronounced effect on both survival and vigor of scion growth.
The best scion wood, grafting techniques, and hot-callusing cannot substitute for a lack of roots on the rootstock. Approximately half of the observed grafting losses following hot-callusing were caused by poor quality root systems, not by a poor union. The quality of the root system has a pronounced effect on both the survival and vigor of the scion.

I was speaking with a friend the other day on how important the roots are with new rootstocks. I had some come with no roots and some come with lots of roots. The ones with lots of roots are harder to plant but do twice as good. I won’t graft those rootless rootstocks this year. In this area its getting late in the year for grafting so I would water them like crazy the next two weeks if they need it.

If you have the scion wood - no reason to not graft! If it takes you’re a year ahead. If it doesn’t take, just try again. What do you have to lose?

2 Likes

I’ve been down that road and it sets back the rootstock and it takes my time to do it and seldom works out. I have to many things that need grafted this year. I’m patient and in a year they will be a healthy tree that will take grafts a lot better.