Rootstock: St. Julian A

I missed that warning and bench-grafted apricots and peaches to 5 St Julian rootstocks last spring. I put 2 grafts on each and given my iffy record with stone fruit grafting, feel good that 4 of the 5 have at least 1 take (only 1 double). They were in pots, so there wasn’t much growth. I’ll probably plant most, if not all in the ground this year, so I should get a better idea if/how they will grow.

As mentioned before by Matt St. Julien A (not St. Julien GF655 which is a different rootstock) is one of the most planted rootstocks for plums, peaches and apricots in Europe (I positively know for Germany). Studies showed higher winter mortality rates when used for apricots though. So for apricots other rootstocks are recommended now (eg VVA). I am not sure with peaches.

I myself use and like St. Julien A for a very adaptible plum rootstock. Plus it proofed to be quite easily propagated by cuttings. It kind of gives perfect growth on my soil which is on the sandy side. Weaker rootstocks (Wangenheim, VVA) do poorly on my soil and tend to runt out. For other stonefruit (peaches and apricots) I now try to avoid it. I am less concerned with St. Julien A for peaches (though I like peach rootstocks better) but definitely with apricots.

2 Likes

You might be okay. I’ve seen more East Coast references on this forum (general memory of reading) of others using St. Julien A where a lot of you guys are in the zone 7a/7b/8 areas.

Definitely let us know what happens.

Thanks,

Dax

Does anyone have practical experience growing peaches on St Julian A rootstock? Is there any advantage over Lovell, Bailey, Halford rootstock?

1 Like

Thanks, ILParadiseFarm for the information. I wonder what is environmentally different that makes the rootstock work well in Europe but not in the US.

1 Like

Its use as a rootstock for peaches is more and more disputed (not enough vigor). Nurseries in germany still use it, because it is cheap and the average customer doesn’t even ask about the rootstock.
For apricot it was used but is no longer recommended because of high mortality rates of the trees.

I like it for all kinds of plums. For apricot I use apricot seedling or peach (Rubira). For peaches from this year on I will only use peach seedling as a rootstock. I have one peach on St. Julien A in the ground because it was a bargain (EUR 5,00). I plan to graft that variety to a seedling as soon as possible in case the other tree dies or runts out.

2 Likes

Are peach fruits smaller on this rootstock as well? It seems like the theme for all peach-compatible plum rootstocks.

Not in general. It produces good sizes and qualities. It really doesn’t like dry and or poor (sandy) soils. If such conditions apply fruit size suffers. With very productive varieties you need to feed and water this rootstock well. Other than that it is a versatile rootstock of medium vigor and very good compatability. It is my standard for plums (very cost effective). It roots readily after planting and can be propagated by cuttings.

2 Likes

I have one nectarine tree on St. Juliens A rootstock and it is growing well after 2 years in somewhat wet soil. No fruit yet.

1 Like

anyone know where to get ~100 clonal st julien A in the US at a discount from what burnt ridge offers ($3.5 ea)? I’m growing a bush to take cuttings from but it won’t start giving me enough for a couple years

Rootstocks - Heritage Nursery (google.com)

We once did a group order of 50 Pyro 2-33. If you do need around $100, prehaps you can offer Forum members an opportunity to join your order.

1 Like

Hi. Meaning if one plants seeds of a damson plum they can grow their own rootstocks known as St. Julian?? Thanks
Frank