Rosehips and beach plum seeds: what to do?

Do rosehips generally grow true to type?

There’s an old climbing yellow rose at my grandma’s house, probably 40 or 50 years old, that grows without care and has large numerous rosehips. I’m visiting my grandma’s old house at the moment and the rosehips are a golden orange color, about the size of a golf ball. I’d love to grow this rose at my house. If I collected some of the rosehips, could I grow my grandma’s roses from seed? If yes, how does one go about growing roses from rosehips?

Similarly, there are many beachplum bushes near my grandma’s house. I collected a bunch of seeds to send to DennisD, and it made me think: why can’t I grow some beachplums, too? Can anyone give any advice on the best way to grow beachplums from seed?

Probably the easiest, quickest way to get this rose going is to just find a chunk of root off of it, take it home and plant it. We have a couple of them against our back fence. The hips aren’t big, but otherwise it sounds like a very similar plant. It suckers like crazy, sending runners out into the lawn, especially if it’s cut back. You won’t hurt the rose at all by just sticking a shovel in ground until you find the root and and taking a piece with some nodes on it.

Don’t know about your beachplums but they might work the same way. Easy to find out!

Hi Dana,
Taking rose cuttings would probably be your best bet to clone almost any rose. I never tried seed germination from hips, but all of my landscape Roses were obtained by rooting cuttings. You need about 10”-12” of a cutting from this years growth, scar the lower 7-8” and dip in either powder growing hormone, or you can make an equally good liquid hormone from willow tips.

For stonefruit stratification, I got this process from itheweatherman and think that it works best for me after trying several other processes without success. But I recently got 3 apricot seed to germinate with this process:
New way to stratify stonefruit seed: itheweatherman

May '16:

“Yes, I stratify them.

I let the seeds dry for three days. After that, I crack the shell, then I soak the kernels in water for 30 minutes. Then in a sandwhich bag, I add three tablespoons of water, 1\3 cup of potting soil, and then the kernels. Then I store the bags in fridge in the egg section isle for two to three months or once the seedlings have .25 inch of taproot.”

Dennis

1 Like

Does the suckering of the rose matter when taking root chunks? I’ve never seen my grandma’s roses sucker before. Does that mean that there aren’t nodes on the roots?

Thanks Dennis! I’ll have to try both methods.

Is now a good time to take rose cuttings?

Is would work but you may not get a rooted plant most likely until spring, I usually roots most plants in Feb taking cuttings after they are dormant, but roses can sometimes work in summer if you have enough growing season left

I don’t know for sure but I suspect it does have nodes. Suckering is encouraged when the rose is cut back on many varieties. If Gramma’s rose has been “neglected” it might not have any reason to sucker.

Ah, that makes sense. That rose has definitely been neglected! But it still blooms every year, so it’s a keeper!

1 Like