Roses are not red

Late spring is when my rosres shine. I don’t have any red roses anymore. This os Abraham Darby, a David Austin rose, nice fragrance.

16 Likes

Up close.

14 Likes

Prairie Sunrise.

8 Likes

Up close

10 Likes

w

Julia Child

13 Likes

Up close

10 Likes

It’s funny, I was going to make pictures of my roses today as well, but failed miserably! Most of my roses are different shades of red, orange and purple. They just plainly not come out right on my android. Even when I look at the screen the colors already not right. Tomorrow will try it with my real camera. Your roses and pictures are beautiful!

1 Like

Thank you.

I’ve found that the redder they are, the more off-color pics they make.

I have only7-8 bushes left. I have a lavender one but they won’t bloom until a couple of weeks from now.

1 Like

This is a care free one, Easy Does It. If I take the pic of this rose any closer, the color will be off.

I took pictures with my iPad.

9 Likes

I only have 6 in my yard, and three more I moved to my neighbor side of the border, she doesn’t mind, if will take care of them there :slight_smile:. Also, after veggie garden and fruit trees I do not have much time left for flowers, so roses I have are not the prettiest ones, they are roses who survives “no care” conditions :slight_smile: .

15 Likes

Are the 2 nd and 3 rd rosa rugosa? I recognize the characteristics, they are indeed care free.

The ones I keep are either nice fragrance, nice shape, bloom all year long or the color I like.

Not all are care free but all are low care. When I spray immunox for CAR, i spray the rose bushes, too. It helps for several weeks. After that, if I have time, I spray with aulfur. I don’t pamper my roses.

1 Like

I noticed, your roses are planted close to the house - it is nice winter protection , I guess. My roses have the worst spot of the yard - north corner of the property, close to the road and with huge oak tree across the road that literally sucking on their soil - several time I cut it roots near the road, but it grows them again. And house wall doesn’t have much sun - only azalea and hostas growing there OK.

1 Like

That is how I keep my Double Delight, a zone 7 rose, survive for several years now,. It is one of the most fragrant hybrid tea roses with a beautiful two tone color, red and white. Everyone who smells it agrees that it has nice perfume.

2 Likes

No, they are not. White is “Bolero”(fragrant), purple/pink I am not sure, it has no thorns and it is fragrant, so I did some search and came up with this name: Reine des Violettes. It is in fact a little darker than the picture. At least it matches both flowers and leaves and lack of thorns.

1 Like

Oh, those old garden roses. I used to be crazy about roses and got to know Gardenweb on the Rose forum long before I knew about Fruit and Orchard forum.

Once I got hooked by fruit trees, roses have been almost all gone.

2 Likes

Double Delight and Julia Child in a vase.

10 Likes

These are a few from my yard. Secret
and Rio Samba,

9 Likes

Ray,

So glad you posted. I like looking that beautiful roses. Please post some more.
You should give out tips on how to grow roses. You are the guru. Thanks in advance.

3 Likes

Mamuang, Thanks for the kind words. Roses are really not that hard to grow.
They only really must have two things, sunlight and water. I only feed my roses twice a year, and spray them every two weeks. With a battery powered
sprayer, I can spray 50 bushes and clean the sprayer in less than an hour.
I grow two types, old garden roses and hybrid teas, and I only dead head the HT’s, in order to get repeat bloom. The OGR roses dead head themselves.
I only grow repeat blooming roses, because I want blooms all season long.
I’m in zone 8 and my HT’s bloom from March to Christmas. The picture I posted was the center piece on my Thanksgiving Day table. I’ve had similar roses on Christmas Day.
This a pic of a polyantha rose called La Marne. The smaller bush in front is Souvenier de la Malmaison

15 Likes

Souvenir de Malmaison is a lovely rose and a fav. I cannot wait to grow Fantin Latour! And the Bourbons!

3 Likes