Roses are not red

Thanks @mamuang and @rayrose. We do indeed have dry weather for most of the year, but the very wet spring does cause some fungal diseases like mildew. Thanks for the recommendations. This is a good list to start. I was scouring through David Austin website and found few climbers with strong fragrance like Strawberry Hill, Gertrude Jeckyll, etc. They do look gorgeous. One issue is that, I am not sure I understand different scents described for the roses - myrrh, old rose, etc. As @mamuang suggested, I live so close to atleast two rose gardens. I should go there, talk to people and see & smell a few and look for what’s interesting.

Lots of beautiful flowers :+1: my wife and I have a few roses as well and if they do any good this year I will try to put some pics of them up if that’s OK :relaxed:

1 Like

I hear your regarding how people describe rose scents. I have to look up the spelling of “myrrh” everytime and still don’t know what it smells like. I only know if I like certain their fragrance or not.

I love David Austin roses but their flowers are heavy so their roses are mostly nodding. Also, their roses do not stand up well to rain. When it rains (even not heavy) all day, my Abraham Darby roses are pretty much all ruined.

A few fragrant DA roses is Jude The Obscure, Charles de Gaulle, Evelyn and the Prince.

@Poncho65. Feel free to your rose pics. We all love seeing beautiful pics of roses.

1 Like

This rose is worth a mention. My guess (and based on info from our neighbor) is the previous to previous owner of our house planted it near the fence. The previous owner pulled it out and paved the area with cement. The rose was stubborn enough it rose :slight_smile: through a small crack. We never watered it, or fertilized or took any care. It’s mostly due to our laziness that it’s still there instead of getting pulled out

The fragrance is the best I’ve ever experienced. I went to a couple of rose gardens nearby and never found anything even close to it. It feels as though if you squeeze it, it’ll produce rose water (as sold in the Middle-eastern/Indian stores).

3 Likes

From the look of it, it looks like a Rosa Rugosa type.

4 Likes

My favorites are Memorial Day and Wekplapep.
Memorial Day produces very large and fragrant roses all season long.

Wekplapep is striking, with a sweet-pleasant rose fragrance. Sold under the trademarked name ‘Scentimental’.

We also have a super funky red rose called Mister Lincoln. It is the dankest rose we have, but the heads tend to droop.

4 Likes

This year, I read a little bit about growing roses. I then decided to clean up this one, remove dead/diseased canes and pegged the most vigorous shoots.

May be it’ll die due to the new found care :slight_smile:

Last year beside the road i found a big mess of what i think are climbing roses they were bright red… They were sprawling all over about 25 yards and carpeted a weedy area. I noticed that where cars had drove over them in some spots that they took new roots.

So i went back and got some cuttings, and dug up a few of the rooted injuries. All took well at my house but were past the blooming phase. I snipped about 3 foot of new growth and hit it a few times with a hammer and lightly buried it under a bit of soil and every injury took root.

Im keeping this as i like the fact that it just wants to live… but are there climbing roses that bloom longer? I think these bloom in early summer then that is it… at least from what i have seen.

1 Like

Right now I only maintain one red rose. This one is one of the best roses I ever grew.

7 Likes

I wonder if it could be Dr Huey. It’s a red blooming climbing rose used extensively as rootstock for grafted roses. Extremely vigorous and tenacious, often takes over if the grafted rose has hit any hiccups.
Ex some pics and story here:

But you’ll come up with many more searching for Dr Huey.
Regardless, yes, there are climbing roses that either repeat bloom, or even bloom very consistently. Pretty much any color you like, too (well, within rose realm of colors of course). My house came with a surprise climbing rose that took being chopped down to the ground by previous owner as a challenge. I think it may be Compassion rose, but if it is, I’m still trying to remind it it’s supposed to be repeat blooming :wink: Oh, and it’s definitely grafted on Dr Huey. That’s how I learned about the good Dr. I’m trying to keep him under ground.

1 Like

I am pretty sure we have a few roses that were grafted to those stock. I believe the graft line was buried and the pink scion took root. They were putting out massive suckers like the photo, until I transplanted them. The pink rooted scion put out some serious growth and is far more vigorous than the 2" trunk bushes I moved.
I also have a very nice seedling rose from my red & white striped variety that I suspect to be ‘Scentimental’. It is at least as disease resistant as the commercial parent and has many rows of petals. The aroma is very similar to the parent. I will toss a photo up of the next good bloom I come across. It seems to be one of those roses where sunlight deepens the red color.

Rose newbie question.

I have seen some rose bushes which stand upright with very thick and stout trunks or multi-trunks. How do they get that way? Is it just older bushes are this way due to yearly pruning that thicken the trunks? Or is it only some cultivars with this growth pattern?

All my roses have thin branching and are rather floppy and just fall into the ground.

Monrovia Flower Carpet “Amber”

3 Likes

I think the grandifloras tend to stand up, the floribundas tend to flop, but they have lots of blooms.

2 Likes

Thanks will read up on it.

I have mostly floribundas. All mine are upright. I think it deprnds on a variety. My Prairie Sunrise and even Julia Child are upright, not floppy

1 Like

Julia child is an amazing rose, I have a standard and a bush. Not all floribundas are flopping, some tends to flop. I have a few grandifloras for cut roses.

1 Like

Grandifloras are too large for me. Hybrid Tea is good enough for a cut roses

It depends, All Dressed up is a Grandiflora and it’s not too big for me. Just Joey is a Hybrid tea and it’s humongous.
But in general I don’t pay attention to what they are, if I like the look of some roses, I just buy them. I worry about other things later, lol.

It is not called Grandifloras for nothing :grin:

I used to read up about roses for several years. Once I discovered fruit trees, roses got dissed.

Like I said earlier, floppy of not, it depends on a variety more than a type of roses.

2 Likes