Roxbury Russet apple

RR is the last “must have” apple tree on my list. Waiting to see if Cummins cuts their prices near the end of the shipping season.

I have taken scion and grafted it to some rootstocks over the past couple years. I need to do a few on antonovka to insure the trees will last for another 100+ years.

1 Like

Jesse,

What a great Rox you have there. A treasure.

I don’t have a ready supply of heirloom apples nearby, so bought a box from Scott Farm, VT, Today I cut into the Roxburry R. Nearly 17 Brix, its piney character upon harvest mellowed to something quite pleasant, although I cannot specify flavors in this sample. Certainly it offered more acid and tastiness than Hudson’s Golden Gem at this time of year, and less honey character than Golden Russet. Beginning to go soft, it had a small cut from before packing, without any bruise or rot developing from that 1/4" damage. Impressive.

1 Like

very cool old tree…wonder what would happen if I grafted on to one of my trees down here in Florida??

Only one way to find out…

I’ll pay for shipping if you want to send some scion wood and we’ll give it a try.

Pm me your shipping info and I will hook you up.

Just pressed some RR Cider 3.45 PH and 17.5 Brix!

9 Likes

Yum! Sweet and acid:)

1 Like