Rubus Breeding

Looks like I found a photo of one I saw in my neighbor’s front yard.
Rubus ulmifolia? or ulmifolia hybrid?

1 Like

5 seedlings in this tub . Need to plant them .

4 Likes

love the name Freedom berry! :wink:

3 Likes

I figure it follows the naming convention. Rubus x ‘logan’ = Loganberry, Rubus x ‘marion’ = Marionberry. Why wouldn’t the prime-ark Freedom be called Freedomberries?

3 Likes

After close inspection, I think most of my backyard berries are ursinus hybrids. The flowers appear to have stamens, and the sepals bend down away from the berry. The racemes are also compound. Pure American blackberries do not have compound racemes and the sepals bend toward the berry. Ursinus does not have stamens on female flowers. It also looks like the thorns are more consistent with ursinus hybrids. I am still keeping an eye out for the pure ursinus. I strongly suspect the hedge berries down the street are pure, since they were coming in at 18-22 Brix. My backyard berries were only 14-16 Brix. I will know more when they flower.

2 Likes

LVC PAG poster 2010 draft2 (1).pdf (643.8 KB)

hdy201245.pdf (547.8 KB)

posterClark2008.pdf (204.7 KB)

FVCSB_5(SI1)27-43o.pdf (1011.6 KB)

European-Blackberry_Management-Guide_CNLM_2019.pdf (1.2 MB)
Some interesting info I found about native and European berries.

3 Likes

Excuse me. Can you help me with some Columbia Giant Bkackberry seeds?

1 Like

Sorry my plant didn’t make it, I put it in last year, I ordered another. But it will not fruit this year. Maybe someone else has seeds?

1 Like

Thanks i have tried, but no luck.

1 Like

I will save seed when I can. I was bummed the plant died. I’m very fond of the cultivars out of the Oregon program. I added a lot of blackberries this season. Ponca the best of the Arkansas program for sweetness. I added the evergreen blackberry, a thornless one. I added Logan and Darrow which is one of the old hardy eastern blackberries. I\m looking for And Dewberry too.

3 Likes

Thanks.

1 Like

Buy Austin Mays Blackberry Plant from Ty Ty Nursery (a link I got from @nil)

1 Like

Ty Ty has the very worst ratings of any nursery. Dave’s Garden had to remove it’s review, they threatened to sue.

3 Likes

I have not bought from them for that reason. You are rolling the dice with nurseries like that. This late in the season you are as likely to get whatever they have in their bargain bin, as what you paid for. Shady places just want to get paid for the rest of their inventory, and will send you just about anything to avoid giving you your money back for an out-of-stock item.
I found that link, but I am not in the market for that variety.

1 Like

I have some extra Salmonberry pollen on
q -tips . It’s a superior plant.

I only ask for a few seeds in the fall.
I think it’s close to Raspberry but what do I know?

Only need the priority postage refund.

1 Like

Never dealt with them. Thanks for the heads up. Don’t know about these folks either but Dewberry - Direct Gardening

1 Like

lol. I used to get a similar catalog regularly. Same stock photos. On a good day you get a barely rooted cutting. You will likely have better luck posting in the trading post or requesting a cutting from USDA during the next open order period for Rubus.

Fruit Germplasm Libraries - Reference - Growing Fruit

NCGR Corvallis - Rubus Germplasm : USDA ARS

1 Like

I have photos of the pure Rubus ursinus that is growing down the street.

The male flowers are fat and round. The female flowers are long & skinny. They are growing in a diseased hedge, and show no sign of disease. They get very little light there. These are the plants that were measuring 18-22 Brix last year. No spray, no fertilizer, and minimal light.

5 Likes

Now that looks like it might be a pure pacific blackberry. How cold does it get where you’re at? I’ve had difficulty wintering these things even in a cellar.

2 Likes

It occasionally drops down to 17F, but it mostly stays above 20F.
I found the ursinus in my backyard is a hybrid. The stamen are extremely short on the hybrid, and easy to miss. It also has evil hybrid thorns.

1 Like