Rubus Breeding

i have some rooted cuttings from them getting established now. come june or so when im sure theyre rooted well i could send you a few to try. i also have the canadian/ smooth blackberry that grows wild around here but the berries are as small as our wild raspberries so not really worth growing but they are tasty and pretty productive. we broke our record for all time lowest temp of -50f in 09’ so i know they are hardy to that.

1 Like

That would be great. I messaged my email address to you yesterday; you can contact me directly there. I’d try the smooth one too; “not worth growing” is relative, since anything is better than nothing : -). I also have Wyoming, which is the only purple raspberry that I’ve succeeded with here. The vines are incredibly vigorous; they’ll get 12+ feet long here and make the winters fine except for a little tip dieback. The berries aren’t very big, but they’re sweet, rich, and abundant. I spent about 20 years seeking it out and finally found it at the USDA (where it’s been “not available” for several years now).

2 Likes

Hi Vic! I think I was I talks with you before I lost my password(s). Didn’t mean to disappear. Anyways welcome to growing fruit!

I also have a couple of Heisas in the garden.

I bought enough arctic raspberries to do some experimenting. Their flowering times should overlap for a few weeks. I was able to make a few seeds last year already but none sprouted. This cross has a very low success rate. In fact they only succeeded three times in 40 years when they bred the nectar raspberry. It’ll be fun never the less.

4 Likes

Here are some hybrids from last year

They’re purple raspberries. Some might be back crosses to red raspberry Jenkka (with some arctic raspberry heritage) and others might be fathered by my Black Jewel hybrids that I call Purple Jewel. I wasn’t exactly scientific with the pollination but they’re confirmed hybrids. Glen Coe, the mother is thornless.

2 Likes

Yesterday
I spotted a Hybrid Thimble berry
along the Roadway in Port Orchard.
I will soon share photos.
Have no Idea what it crossed with
but
the berries are larger and more numerous than the usual ones.

4 Likes

I found a bramble I can not identify yet. It looks like a raspberry or raspberry hybrid. No flowers or fruit to go by yet.

Some of the ursinus growing in the hedge are making berries and primocanes. I will start rooting some soon.

The Rubus ursinus primocanes seem to have a plastic/rubber look/feel to the skin compared to the ursinus hybrids I have found. They also have 5 bladed blackberry leaves, arranged like a raspberry.

3 Likes

I just found a ripe dewberry under ripe black raspberries. I’ll be germinating its seeds just for fun.

4 Likes

My Heisas fruited last year. Sweet and mild, but Anelma is better and more productive. I have a Heija someplace too but can’t remember where I planted it!

3 Likes

What up guys. Jumping on this thread. Man, there are lots of knowledge people on here and tons of good info I’ve been looking over the past couple days.

I recently got into growing Rubus this year and have started growing several cultivars as well as observing the various wild species on my property. I would love to get into breeding this and come up with my own berry. I’m just now reading about the different ploidy of Rubus which means not just everything will go together as I first thought, as well as the difficulty of growing by seed.

As far as my cultivars I am growing prime ark 25, yellow Anne, snowbank, Latham, heritage, sweetie pie, boysenberry and 2 others I can’t remember the name of. For my wild species, I know I have at least 4 distinct species and possibly some crossing. I have 2 different blackberries that bloom at different times I could use some help identifying as well as wine berry and dew berry. I’ll throw up some pics of the ones in question to see if anyone knows the type. I also found a nearly thornless wild plant, does anyone know how rare the thornless gene is?

Any tips and ideas on what I should cross or growing is appreciated.

2 Likes

I had fruit from the Heisas last year too. Nothing special to comment on. -Tasted like a normal raspberry to me. Garden raspberry makes 3/4 of the hybrid so I wasn’t surprised. A lot of the arcticus genes probably got selected against somehow. Well I just noticed my Heisa is flowering so I rubbed the flowers against some arctic raspberry flowers. We’ll see if the pollen takes.

3 Likes

Any update on salmonberry cuttings? How is the Joan J I sent you doing?

2 Likes

It looked like a ghost for a month.
I almost threw it out
but
it’s greening up now
showing signs of life.

1 Like

You want Salmonberry cuttings?

1 Like

my one from rolling river was late to leaf out for me this spring. i have 4 of your cuttings that are ready to be up potted. i hope theyre as hardy as the other one i grow.

1 Like

The reason I joined this forum and sent you Joan J was for salmonberry as agreed. Given forecast is 108 already next week, enjoy your free plant.
Sorry it pouted for trip from CA.

1 Like

Well if you didn’t get the Salmonberry
why did you not say anything sooner?
I have plenty of scionwood and it roots super easy .
Remind me in the fall.

1 Like

I received no response to my prior DMs.

1 Like

I don’t remember seeing any.
I visit the forum almost every day.

1 Like

If you can, send me seeds for that you consider it is ok. I am a beginer so i am wiling to trie.

1 Like

Time for a little update on my purple raspberries.

So these are the Glen Coe x Purple Jewel plants that I showed you earlier this summer.

Both parents were purple raspberries so this is technically an f2 and I’m seeing a lot of variation. Some are very thorny, and one plant is nearly thornless. The first plant looks a bit more red raspberry dominant, while the plant in the last picture is very similar to it’s Glen Coe mother but is even more vigorous. I had to prune at least a dozen canes during the summer months.

This fourth plant is a seedling from Jenkka garden raspberry but has the same father, so one quarter black raspberry. The purple raspberry features are less pronounced but I think the stem looks a bit similar to some of the f2 hybrids.

And finally my Purple Jewel

I got to taste my first berries from this one. I lost the pictures but the berries were about the same size as Jewel, so ok sized and quite good tasting. Not super sweet but perhaps more reminescent of a red raspberry than a black cap. Darker colored than Glen Coe. A very deep wine color when over ripe. What I like about this plant is the way it branched out without any pruning. I think it inherited this trait from it’s father which was what they call a bush raspberry. They top out at about one meter tall. A very useful trait in cold climate I would think.

4 Likes