Rubus Breeding

If you have a good one
Id be interested in trying it out here.
Raspberry loves the Puget Sound lowlands.

2 Likes

I managed to get 5 clones from 100 seeds of cloudberry (ordered from Russia, prof-seeds.com). Now waiting for spring to see which of the clones are female. These will be pollinated with Loganberry and Tayberry. Logan is growing like crazy here so to get that vigor in to a cloudberry hybrid would be nice.

The resulting 7X (4C + 2 B + 1R) will most likely only be stable by clonal propagation and apomixis. If I may guess, I think I will loose the raspberry chromosomes after seed propagation (F2) resulting in a mostly 6X population with potentially a few extra chromosome pairs. No idea what the level of recombination is between the genomes so that interesting raspberry traits could be kept in subsequent generations.

Picture: Cloudberries grown in front of my Loganberry.

3 Likes

Hi Jens. how did you get your cloudberry seed to germinate? i tried to get some to grow from seed i got from Newfoundland, Ca but none sprouted. i planted them in the fall for spring growth. will be interesting seeing what results you get with those crosses. Happy Holidays!

1 Like

I followed the protocol:

30 minutes concentrated H2SO4
Wash in water
Keep moist in fridge for >3 months
Sow in acidic soil (Rhododendron soil) / Peat

I thought I had failed but then I got some plants popping up late summer/early autumn (seeded early spring). 5 out of 100 is of course also not a great success rate (but I have read that also blackberry seeds germinate much less if you have let them dry)

At first, I thought the plants were some wild-seeded strawberries or something because they look distinctly different from other Rubus (including R. arcicus which is approximately as small (10-20 cm high)).

2 Likes

Turns out that the Thimble berries were nothing special.
Sorry.

1 Like

If you have a good one
please let me know if I can get a start.
Rubus hybrid.

Does anyone have a suggestion for saving pollen? My allfieldberries (R. arcticus) flower quite early here in Belgium and I was hoping to cross them with wineberries, which seem to come pretty late.

I am using R. arcticus as female because it is self-incompatible and very small, so hybrids will be easy to identify.

1 Like

I am super interested in getting some Heisa. The Finns did indeed back cross with raspberry so it is only 1/4 R. arcticus.

From what I have read do you only get hints the R. arcticus flavor in nearly over-ripe Heisa berries.

I would be interested in the opposite: get some raspberry traits in allfieldberries (R. arcticus ; self fertility, a bit higher growth). Heisa would be very interesting to cross with allfieldberries. Alternatively, if your back-crossing to R. arcticus is successful, it will be super interesting to have some clones from that if possible.

2 Likes

I use a small jar, like a baby food jar, I cut the anthers off and let them dry a couple weeks. Then one can freeze for as long as you like. I always collect in a jar to let dry. I find it near impossible to work with wet pollen.

3 Likes

Do you think these should be used or do you think they would draw out to much moisture
Dry & Dry 2 Gram [100 Packets] Food Safe Silica Gel Packs Desiccants Silica Gel Silica Gel Packets - Rechargeable Moisture Absorbers, Silica Gel Packs: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

1 Like

I don’t really know? I would say no, using them should be fine. It is important if you want to save pollen long term, that it is very dry before freezing. Moist pollen will become damaged.

1 Like

I have a couple crosses I want to try. Darn life has got in the way the last couple of years. I have to make it a priority to do these crosses.
I still want an orange colored raspberry, on hold for now. I want to make a yellow primocane fruiting black raspberry. In other words a primocane fruiting yellowcap. I have yellow/brown wild specimen from Ontario to work with. A friend of mine in Ontario (which is less than 20 miles away). collected it. I have had it about 8 years now. Still extremely healthy and disease resistant. The variegation is recessive. So I have to back-cross. I did the first cross, I now have to back-cross. I failed to get any seeds the last 2 years. My timing was bad.
The primocane gene is dominant and mine comes from Niwot.
Primocane berries on Niwot suck, I made another cross Niwot x Jewel and the primocane berries on the crosses are near excellent. Great size too!

8 Likes

I keep forgetting my password here but I thought I had a few seeds in store of the purple one. I just can’t seem to find them anymore. I’ll let you know if they turn up somewhere.

I was just saddened to hear of the passing of Chad Finn, the blackberry breeder at Corvallis. They mentioned it in one of their youtube videos. Apparently a surfing accident a couple of years ago already. He seemed like a real nice fella and was a fountain of knowledge. I’m currently trying out one of his creations. I hope they’ll do good.

4 Likes

my mouth is watering. Do you need a test site in NJ?

1 Like

Yes, I spoke with Mr. Finn several times over the years at Caneberry Field Days; the incident in Hawaii was a tragedy.

1 Like

I hope next year to send out for postage. Heck i could lose these, I want to share. I named the Jewel x Niwot cross, Sterling Black (I live and plant was bred in Sterling Heights, MI) It is the best primocane fruiting black raspberry out there. Although it’s easy to cross yourself if you spend the time to learn.

3 Likes

I got fruit from Heisa last year. Berries small but abundant. Not really any arcticus taste, but they were noticeably less acid than my other red raspberries. Except for Anelma, which also has arcticus genes. Anelma is my best red raspberry for fresh eating, and the berries are twice the size of Heisa. Low acid but very rich in flavor. Hoping to get fruit from Heija, the other “nectar raspberry” next year.

3 Likes

Where did you get these guys? I have been searching everywhere for them. It seems like we have the overlapping interest of trying to back cross them again towards R. arcticus.

2 Likes

Interesting work you are doing here. If I might make a suggestion share your experiments as I have done with @39thparallel and others while you can. Some things truly are irreplaceable.

3 Likes

Blockquote
Interesting work you are doing here. If I might make a suggestion share your experiments as I have done with @39thparallel and others while you can. Some things truly are irreplaceable.

Yeah I will definitely try to share my material to friends, colleagues, family and anyone I can find that is even remotely interested when I am successful. I am super-afraid that I would get some really nice offspring and then due to some fluke, they would die. Having them grown and cared for at multiple locations would also mitigate the “bus factor” as they call it in open source software development, and I would be sure that the material would outlive me.

3 Likes