Rubus Breeding

Yes I do! But all the buds have opened already, not a very well cared for plant…

1 Like

Pollinated my allfieldberries (R. arcticus) with loganberry this summer and one seed (out of 8) germinated after 3 months in the fridge + sand paper scarrification.
I did the pollination mostly since only one clone (Beata) flowered well this year and allfieldberries are self-incompatible.

Anxiously waiting to see if the seedling is a hybrid (most likely 4X since R. arcticus is 2X and logan 6X). Should be easy to spot since the maternal plant (R. arcticus) is 15-20 cm with ~3x4 cm leaf triplets and Logan (father) is several meters and ~20x30 cm leaf triplets.

5 Likes

Do you have any other Rubus hybrid?
I’d love to find a Rubus Spectabilis hybrid
“Salmonberry”.

2 Likes

No but I am now really interested in getting these arctic, aromatic and difficult-to-grow (in Belgium) plants like R. arcticus and cloudberry hybridized to something vigorous and high-yielding.

For the Logan x allfieldberry I hope it will be at least somewhat self-fertile so that F2 clones could be identified that combines the best of the two parents.

I will try to cross cloudberry with Logan (both 6X). I wanted to find the hermaphrodite cloudberry ‘nyby’ since Norwegian publications describing crosses of female cloudberries with raspberry or blackberry mention that the offspring only has female flowers.
Since I failed to get it I have ordered cloudberry seeds instead and perhaps I just have to back-cross the F1 with a male cloudberry and identify a male and female clone in that generation. If I have found Nyby by then I might be able to back cross the F1 with this to get hermaphrodite clone offspring.

I also aim to cross R. arcticus with wineberry (both 2X).

EDIT: only mention I could find about cloudberry hybrids by googling:
https://hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/proceedings1993/V2-524.html

EDIT2: This is the paper describing the crosses of cloudberry to raspberry or blackberry.
https://www.actahort.org/books/352/352_61.htm

3 Likes

I can help you with the Salmonberry seeds.
Tayberry is a promising parent.
Raspberry x Blackberry.
I have an excellent orange salmonberry in my backyard.
The orange fruits tend to be better than the red salmonberry, flavor wise.

1 Like

I am definitely interested in the salmonberries. I have a Tayberry too but the thornless Loganberry that I have is much more vigorous and much larger and gives greater yields. The tayberries taste a bit less sour but both are very similar I think.

Do you have an idea about the ploidy of Salmonberries? If they are 2X I guess crossing with a yellow raspberry might be interesting.

EDIT: salmonberries are 2X and crosses with raspberries already described, but only leaf phenotypes - not fruit.

https://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/pdf/10.1139/b69-266

After reading about salmonberries I must say that I am far more interested in R. arcticus and cloudberries.

2 Likes

I know that WSU, Puyallup tried to use it in some Raspberry crosses. Apparently
They got a lot of sterile mule hybrid seedlings.

4 Likes

Back crossing the F1 salmonberry x raspberry hybrids with raspberry restores the fertility:

so it has been done

2 Likes

If anyone knows where to get the “nectar raspberrry” Heisa (raspberry x R. arcticus, back-crossed with raspberrry), I would be very interested in one of those.

1 Like

But how to get access to the hybrids?
The citation doesn’t reference who and where this was done.

1 Like

Based on the author info, I am guessing here: https://www.emr.ac.uk/

1 Like

Anyone cross a yellow raspberry with a white blackberry? I have both in my collection, I kinda want to try it.

1 Like

Yellow raspberry (Fall Gold) x White blackberry (Polar Berry) is also on my TODO list. Perhaps next spring :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Seamonkey84 I might have. My yellow black cap is the only thing flowering at the same time as my polar berry… The Yellow black cap sets with out issue but the Polar berry has very sparse fruit set. If it was pollenated by anything it would have been the yellow black cap.

I did save seeds to share but i did not intend to grow them out.

1 Like

Salmonberry roots really easy from dormant cuttings.
I have a very good Orange specimen in I back yard.
Would be quicker than seeds.
Interested?

1 Like

i too have salmonberry . i think it came from rolling river nursery. it was sending shoots up everywhere this summer but hasn’t fruited yet. so far hardy to my z3b/4a weather. i was told they can be quite bland. hows yours Dave?

1 Like

Sure! I could try to grow/cross some salmonberries. Never tried them.

1 Like

For a Salmonberry
It’s above average.
Good flavored
The orange ones are
Usually better than the red ones.
I think it’s pretty good.

2 Likes

I found this Blackberry near my house.
Am nearly certain that it’s a Himalaya x Evergreen hybrid, due to the leaf form.
Himalayan blackberry has good tasting fruit, but they don’t keep. The vines are excessively vigorous and invasive.
The Evergreen has firmer and later fruits
Mush less invasive, and tends to prefer lighter well drained soils.
Flavor is not as good.
My hope is that this hybrid will have the best of both species.

2 Likes

Flavor is inferior to the Raspberry, but I find the Orange fruit are better than the Red salmonberry.
I have a better than usual Orange Salmonberry in my backyard.

2 Likes