Rubus Breeding

I would be surprised if the Himalaya around here can break 13 Brix. I will test them next year. My Prime-Ark Freedom measured 12.5 Brix, and they were better than the Himalayas that grow around here. Perhaps there are some unusually strong wild berries in this area of Puget Sound.

1 Like

I would think maybe Tayberry, but most are 10-12 at best. Tayberry is a very low acid type, so brix may be lower or average. Excellent berries with a strawberry like flavor.
Dewberry sounds worthwhile for breeding. Even just to grow.
Ponca can be up to 13 brix and is the sweetest berry produced by the Arkansas program. What’s great about this one is berries are very consistent. If one is brix of 12. Then 99% of the others are too. Canes produce more if tipped.

From the Oregon program I like Newberry about the best. It has a fantastic blackberry flavor with strong obvious hints of raspberry flavor. Such a rich and outstanding flavor. I also added Columbia Giant from the Oregon program for it’s large berries. Not that sweet, but I want these strictly for syrup. I have Marion, Newberry, Ponca and Tayberries for fresh eating. In syrup form Columbia Giant syrup is better than Marion Berry syrup. Marion rules for fresh eating but not so much processed.

Tayberries

I have problems with the swd fruitfly. So Tay, Newberry Ponca, Columbia Giant and also wyeberry all ripen before SWD is around. A huge plus for me.

7 Likes

Do you have any Wyeberry seeds to share?
It’s similar to the Tayberry, correct?

1 Like

I don’t recommend anyone plants a Himalayan blackberry. They are incredibly invasive.
I do have hybrids with the Evergreen that are much less so.
I do pick a lot of the fruit in season.
To me
The Evergreen blackberry is inferior.
Seedier and a peculiar aftertaste, but that’s my opinion. They do keep better and endure fall rain without rotting.

1 Like

No, tayberry is the only low acid bramble I know of. Wyeberries are almost identical to boysenberries though. Wyeberries are a little bigger and ripen a week earlier than boysen. I suspect it is a seedling of boysen. Tayberries were developed in Scotland if I remember correctly? Wyeberry is all American.
Newberry and all the Oregon cultivars have fascinating lineages. . I wish I knew more about the Anastasia Wyeberry I grow?

Newberry lineage

1 Like

Another shameless plug:
I’ve got about 20
Himalayan x Evergreen blackberry hybrids.
Fruit characteristics should fall between the 2 parents .
Evergreen is far less aggressive
but I prefer the Himalayan flavor, which is als less seedy.
Happy to trade for other Rubus, or sell for $3 each plus postage.
Probably $4-$6.

1 Like

Wondering what the ploidy of Tayberry is.
Might be a good cross back to the Raspberry.
Also
Know any good sources for a female flowered raspberry to use as a seed parent?

1 Like

Hexaploid.

So is Marion. I crossed them but failed to germinate seeds. I will try again.

1 Like

Marion x Tayberry
That would be a good idea.

1 Like

At least easier to cross! A Marberry! For me Marion when ripened properly is as fine as it gets for blackberries. Newberry is also good, but I still place that 2nd. Tay’s are so different. It is hardier than Marion. So could give a touch more hardiness. Flavor would be interesting. hard to tell, but it has to be good. I want to do to practice also. I have the least experience with blackberries.

2 Likes

Please let me know what is the most compatible cross with the Salmonberry
Rubus Spectablis.
I have a really good one in my back yard.

1 Like

A hexaploid crossed to a diploid produced a tetraploid which is usually viable. The problem with this approach is that often the genetics show disruption with low seed/fruit production.

1 Like

I’d like to find a ready hybrid of the Salmonberry.

1 Like

That I don’t know! Getting breeding info is tough. I lost all my links in a hard drive crash.

1 Like

It’s mostly like a Raspberry.

1 Like

Mmmm, two of my favorite berries for jam. I don’t believe I’ve ever had either fresh.

1 Like

Determining_Ploidy_Level_and_Nuclear_DNA_Content_i.pdf (191.7 KB)
[23279834 - HortScience] Chromosome Numbers of Rubus Cultivars at the National Clonal Germplasm Repository (1).pdf (38.3 KB)

4 Likes

It looks like Tayberry would be compatible with the Marion Berry.
I’d like to make the cross, but may have to beg for seeds from another.

1 Like

They have the same number of chromosomes.
Silvan is another one.

1 Like

Korean Wineberry would be a good raspberry cross. The fruits are beautiful. Sweet, but not as intense as the Raspberry.
They grow well in the Puget Sound lowlands- even reseed themselves a bit.

2 Likes