Satsuma Owari ripening time and more

I have potted Satsuma Owari mandarin that was flowering first time in June and now there are green fruit on it with size close to target size.I moved it indoor four weeks ago.I think it has considered moving from 40F inside as a spring in November and now it is about to flower profusely again. Three questions:

1. How long does it take from flowers to ripe fruit?
  2. Should I keep new flowers or remove them?
  3. Is there any way to control fruit production so they are ready by Christmas?
1 Like
  1. How long does it take from flowers to ripe fruit?
    6 months to a year
  2. Should I keep new flowers or remove them?
    Let them form small fruits first then remove them
  3. Is there any way to control fruit production so they are ready by Christmas?
    Prayer works best. Prayer works about 0.0001% of the time.
1 Like

My owari blooms in March and ripening right now here in AL.

So years ago I planted several types in Louisiana. In my parents yard. My brother just brought some up this week. Owari. Perfect ripeness eating lots this week yummy!! But from early april to early Nov is 7 months and that is ideal outdoor zone 8b/9a humid hot gulf conditions… 85 to 95 days and 75 to 85 at night… I bet in cool indoor conditions they will take forever. They are the latest ripening of those i planted. So mine all bloomed around mid march to early april then Armstrong was ready around Sept 1st±, Brown Select early Oct. ± and Owari early Nov. ±. Because of the late ripening, Owari would not be my choice for northern growing.
I would graft or get early ripening types like Armstrong, Miho, Louisiana Early, Louisiana St Ann.
I plan to get some scion from my brother and graft what I can as soon as my trifolate seedlings get big enough, for my greenhouse since I have access still to several at the parents and my brother has some growing too!

2 Likes

IMG_0700

1. This is my greenhouse grown, 7-yr.old, in ground Meiwa kumquat. These fruits have been hanging on since May and still far from ripe The ghouse is 45-60F now, so I don’t think ripe by Christmas!
  2. Meiwa also flowered profusely. It dropped all but 12 fruit, the most to fruit so far.
  3. I suppose increased temp would hasten ripening. Otherwise have to wait till temps naturally increase in April.
2 Likes

Oops! This is Meiwa kumquat not mandarin. Not similar to Owari mandarin!

1 Like

My Meiwa trees drop 99% or higher its flowers leaving me with a few. They will be 5 years old this January 1st fron seed sprout.

Don’t touch the temp. The cold breaks up excessive acid.

2 Likes

Great growth at 5 years from seed!! Lovely and impressive.

1 Like