Saving persimmon seeds

Hello all,

What is the best way to store persimmon seed for future cold stratification? I plan to start the cold/moist stratification process in February or March, but what is the best way to store the seed in the meantime?

Thanks,

JHS

1 Like

I clean off and rinse completely. Let lay out for maybe a day or so to dry enough to avoid mold, and put in ziploc. If stratifying yet this year, they don’t need a fridge. Just watch the bag for mold. Soak for 24 hours or so before stratifying.

2 Likes

From ;
“ Seeds of woody plants in United States “

3 Likes

I just clean them and stick in a ziploc bag in the fridge as soon as I’ve collected them. Check periodically for mold, and discard any affected, rinse well, and back into the bag until spring planting time.

3 Likes

My approach has been the exact same as @Lucky_P, with good results.

I don’t use a fridge and generally get around 100% germination on seeds in the same season as long as I avoid mold.

2 Likes

I put mine in damp spagnum moss and place in a sealed plastic bag in refrigerator, mark calendar to check in 90 days, then check weekly until majority have sprouted then plant them indoors in a sunny window to grow until frost danger has past. Very simple gets about 95%.
Dennis
Kent wa

2 Likes

@DennisD
That is exactly the protocol explained to me decades ago by a plant propagation expert at USDA. Their refrigerator was set to 27°F for this purpose. After 90 days the package of sphagnum moss with seeds was placed in a thermostat controlled greenhouse at 72°F. They remarked that 27, 72, and 90 are the only numbers you need to remember, and you know – I’ve never forgotten!

3 Likes

@Richard
?
“ From seeds of woody plants in the United States “
Under cold stratification….

I was taught to avoid freezing temperatures.
Obviously , many plants ( seeds) can tolerate this .
Also , was taught, the clock stops below freezing.
It’s mostly the time between 32 f - 40f that counts.

2 Likes

I was not referring to woody plants in the United States.

Then to what were you referring ?

1 Like

This is all VERY helpful information! Thanks to all.

I want to at least have the option to plant the seeds in the exact location in the orchard where they will be grafted onto in a few years. For this to be an option, I need to make sure the seeds don’t start to sprout too early.

The orchard of seedlings will be planted near Farmville, VA in Zone 7a. If sprouting starts in the refrigerator before mid April…it will be too early. Thus my concern about the length of cold stratification as it relates to seed germination. If i understand correctly, from a few responses to the the initial question, the seeds kept at the proper temperature in the refrigerator will not break dormancy until planted in the spring?

Thanks again for all the responses. I’m 13 years from retirement and hope to spend day 1 of retirement harvesting persimmons from my orchard.

BTW the seeds were harvested just 1/2 a mile from the farm where they will be planted. Excited to top work them with american and hybrid cultivars in a few years.

JHS

2 Likes

Dennis’s post.

That method has also worked very well for me. In my climate I have found that starting many tree seeds this way, and then waiting to move them from pots to soil till the first true leaves develop, puts them ahead of seedlings planted in garden beds by about a whole growing season. Not to mention higher germination rates.

1 Like

Hi Jerry,
With respect to your desire for timing, “If i understand correctly, from a few responses to the the initial question, the seeds kept at the proper temperature in the refrigerator will not break dormancy until planted in the spring?”
At the appropriate temperature between 32 and 40 you can expect some to start germinating at about 90 days, so you need to postpone cold stratification until 90 days before your desired outdoor planting plan.
Hope this clarification helps, some may begin germinating a week before, it varies somewhat.
Dennis
Kent wa

Thanks!!! Perfect.

Direct seeding?
Go ahead and plant them now. Let Ma Nature take care of stratfication and germination timing.

2 Likes

Good point, thx

I can testify that direct seeding works nicely.

Eat the persimmon… plant the seeds… in the spring they come up… and grow just fine.

Have also noticed they store very nicely inside a persimmon or packed in persimmon pulp.

3 Likes