Scion from a tree with canker?

Hi folks, just looking for a little advice again.

Obviously if i coukd avoid it id rather not take scikn from a tree with canker but if it can’t be avoided (1 tree of that variety), could i safely take scion from a tree with canker and graft it?

Best wishes as always,

Jamie

1 Like

I was in the same situation before. I wanted to save a dying apple tree from my grandparents place. I didn’t want to use a scion from the tree for topworking so i budded it to a young seedling. The new growth looked fine and I used it the following year.
Obviously try to find a scion with no visible disease and disinfect your tools afterwards. On a fresh rootstock you don’t have much to lose.

4 Likes

I’m not sure if it is safe but I would look for scions that appeared to be free from disease and use them. If possible I would graft onto a smaller/younger isolated tree and not risk infecting a larger tree that you have considerable time invested in growing. This will give you some evaluation time to see how well the scions perform.

1 Like

Thanks guys i appreciate the advice. Im just going out to collect some scion and bench graft them on roots when the spring comes. Ive been told though that some of the trees have a bit kf canker but given it is fungal (i think?) I dont imagine that disease is necessarily on the new scion growth?

Jamie

1 Like

I believe best practice calls for a quick rinse of the scions in a mild bleach solution. I have had problems in the past identifying the correct concentration of this bleach solution.

2 Likes

This post has some great information on scion preparation.

2 Likes

Did you find out the correction concentration for the bleach solution?

I went with an earlier recommendation of this team, one part bleach to nine parts water. I saw it on another site which reconfirmed the information.

3 Likes

Thank you all, i had not heard of using a weak bleach solution but it sounds sensible! Provided i get the ratio right haha