Scion Labels - How to Make?

I like those a lot. I would suggest righting a 2 digit year on those. It’s amazing how hard it becomes to remember what year a tree was planted or what year a graft was put in.

I would love too!! I lost control 20 years ago. I do write more since I’ve become more of a tree keeper instead of a tree haver. :grinning:

I used laboratory tape to mark the scions. It lasts surprisingly long outside. It sticks really good and withstand rain and sun. It is not a permanent label of cause, but it lasts and is readable through the whole summer. Here is how it looks like

Folks these are for hundreds of scions in a grafting workshop, not backyard tree tags. We need to print sheet labels that work in cold wet conditions.

If all else fails you can impress on people the importance of bringing their own rolls of masking tape and magic markers. Scions of each variety are stored in their own labeled buckets. I recommend the blue tape as it is stickier.

Patrick I’m so glad that my Google-fu helped you out!

Why don’t you talk to the USDA people to see what they use. When I get my scions they are always labeled incredibly well.

1 Like

One manila folder, one note page, and several/many rolls of electrician-grade 3/4" vinyl tape in various colors and sold at Lowe’s. Ex.: note page entry 11-11-16, 7 cleft grafts Acres home scions on Orient pear tree # 3, marked with red tape. This note page goes into the folder with the “pear trees” heading. If the graft takes and the scion looks good to grow for years to come, the short tape ring found on the r/s below the graft is removed and replaced with a longer strip of the red tape that is long enough to go around the branch once and have a 2" long “tab” of tape stuck to itself away from the branch where a couple staples will better keep the strip in place for a long time. Cheap and quick if you have many grafts to keep up with. Eventually the branch thickness will stretch the tape enough that a longer strip can replace it One exception would be when cleft grafting paw paw branches, in which case the super delicate/fragile skin (not real bark) on the r/s twig is too dinky to handle tape glue, so the tape ring goes further down on the branch where the bark has crusted up and can handle tape glue.

We at MidFEx have finally found a label that works for hundreds of often damp scions for our grafting workshops. These STAY ON! We print scores of labels on a sheet for a given variety.
We ordered the labels from OnlineLabels.com
Item # OL1050AT
64 labels per sheet
1.8” x 0.5”
Aggressive adhesive, white matte
100 sheets for $23 + $6 shipping
love em !!!

5 Likes