Scotts apple variety experience summary 2005-2015

Thanks Scott, I’ll stick with the 1 branch of it on one of my trees for fun.

I’ve decided I’m going to take out my Kidd’s Orange Red.
After 8-9 years, its just not doing well on G11.
Small fruit, its a bug magnet, fungus problems and the wood is spindly and weak. I even have a downspout running to the tree for extra water because of my lighter soil. Makes no difference.

Going to replace it grafting Reinette Gris on G935 and planting it a couple feet in front of it.

I think Cummins matched up scion to stock poorly with that KOR/G11 pairing.
Cant win em’ all.

Thanks for replying. I’ve been tossing up between ASP and RG and ASP hasnt showed me much either in the 2 years its grown as a branch.

1 Like

Scott, Do you remember where you got the Transparent von Croncels? I can’t find it in the US.

Hmm, I think I got it from Botner.

Scott, included in the scions you sent me late last spring were some labeled “Muscat”. Would that be Muscat de Venus or Muscat de Bernay? Thanks!

Hmm, I don’t recall sending you scions and I don’t have any “Muscat” anything so my guess is somebody else sent them.

BTW @castanea it looks like the Temperate Orchard Society has Croncels which is the same as TvC I think.

1 Like

Hi! By the way what’s your opinion about Croncels? I can buy one of this…
Thank’s!

It is a very nice early cooking apple, it is also very large in size. I don’t really need an early cooking apple though.

2 Likes

Ok thank you very much

Reviving this old thread for those like me looking for these descriptions of these great varities!

Well you should probably see this one which is the most recent:

I will add a pointer to the top of this thread so people know to go to the more recent one.

I should probably also update things as the “new” one is now four years old.

5 Likes

An updated apple experience apple would be great. TY Scott.

1 Like