Screw apples, grow persimmons

@JesseS Gets Meader to ripen for him in Maine, zone 4 I believe.

4 Likes

I planted Meader, Early Golden, and one other variety from Englandā€™s Orchard at my old place in southcentral WI, USDA 5a. I communicated with Cliff a few times about which varieties had the best chances for survival and went with his recommendations.

Meader survived 3 years before a cold winter killed the top. The others didnā€™t make it that long. The roots would survive and send up new growth each yearā€¦and that would get zapped by winter temps. I know there are American persimmons in the Univ. of WI Arboretum that produce fruit at least once in awhile. Most years they donā€™t have enough time to ripen. The UW Arboretum is in a microclimate created by a decent sized urban environment, as well as being tempered by several large lakes.

Bottom line for many northern growers, if you want consistent fruit production it isnā€™t going to come from persimmons. Heck, there are plenty of apple and pear varieties that canā€™t survive winters here.

5 Likes

I wish you the best on your persimmon venture! I have talked to Ryan Haines from Blue Hills several times via telephone and email. He is very friendly and helpful. He said that his Full Draw seedlings have survived 35 below with no tip-die-back, if I remember correctly, in Upstate New York at a trial orchard. I have 18 seedlings, a Tin cup, and Deerlicious coming from him next spring. They will join my Prok, Meader, Journey, Mohler, H-118, DC Middle, 3 hybrid seedlings from tonyOmahaz5, and a dozen or so other seedlings I already have from Oikos, Twisted Tree, ectā€¦ If we keep at it maybe weā€™ll find some that work in our northern regions. Back to topic, apples are so easy to grow here it would be criminal for me not to.

4 Likes

Since you are swimming in persimmons, have you ever thought about doing a Harry Potter Pumpkin Juice, but with persimmon instead of pumpkin?

Iā€™ve been wanting to do it, but my persimmon trees still havenā€™t produced fruit yet.

Here is the recipe:

2 Likes

Btw, this is my attitude. I live in Texas and had a hard time trying to get apples to take off.

I finally gave up on apples and pulled my Granny Smith, Fuji, Wickson Crab, last summer.

Now Iā€™m just focusing on persimmon, pears, and jujube.

5 Likes

@Thazo1979 ā€¦ i am not swimming yet. I just started collecting persimmon varieties this springā€¦ but i do forage wild americans hereā€¦ and have several on my property and at my sisters and a few nice roadaide trees that i harvest from.

In a few more years hopefully the swimming starts.

That recipe sounds great.

One that I would like to accomplish (since I LOVE Pecan pie)ā€¦ is a shagbark hickory nut / persimmon pulp pie. Mmmmm.

6 Likes

following. if they do well for you, thereā€™s hope for me growing them here. hopefully full draw comes back into stock soon.

1 Like

Good luck to you as well. Iā€™d love to learn that there are persimmons that can grow and produce here.

3 Likes

I had 6 persimmon trees. Now have 4. Hereā€™s my experienceā€¦
MEADER: Warning. The roots travel far and suckered all over the yard, even over 2 years after the tree was taken down due to storm damage.
NIKITAā€™s GIFT: Great flavor, but also had root suckers all over. Tree died after 12 years, donā€™t know why
JIRO or FUYU: Non-astringent. Large fruit. Great producer. No suckers. But the squirrels damaged many of them.
YATES: Very slow to produce. Got tons of fruit after 12 years.

7 Likes

Hard to believe apples are hard to grow but every environment is different. Posts have shown apples growing successfully in Africa. A quote from @applenut : " Our trees are growing from the blast-furnace heat of inland Southern California to the tropics of Equatorial Africa. Weā€™ve shipped to Mumbai, India, Bangkok, Thailand, Belize, the Caribbean, Phoenix, Arizona, the Middle East, and the American Deep South. "

3 Likes

I wholeheartedly agree, both figs and persimmon have been the best, trouble free in the garden. I have Matsumato fuyu, looking to add more non astringent.

10 Likes

I did not know. Thank you.

1 Like

Is chinnebuli a non astrigent?

1 Like

I have always understood this to be from when people eat the skins. Do we have any information that might indicate this is an issue if you arenā€™t eating the skins?

3 Likes

Ah, I see that it might be the result of the tannins, but this blurbette from Wikipedia seems to suggest it would be from unripe fruit and I am certainly not going to eat any unripe astringent persimmons!

" A specific type of phytobezoar, termed a diospyrobezoar , is associated with ingestion of unripe persimmons, which contain a soluble tannin called shibuol that polymerizes into a coagulative cellulose-protein compound in the acid environment of the stomach, to form the bezoar."

4 Likes

Iā€™ve grown Szukis and Mohler American persimmon, both excellent varieties, here in the colder part of zone 5 (NYā€™s Hudson Valley) for 30+ years. Only missed a couple of crops in all those years.

5 Likes

Fuyu persimmons can be eaten when they are crispā€¦does this mean they are a higher risk for diospyrobezoar? Is it safer to wait till it is riper( more orange and little soft)?

I was doing some research in dissolving diospyrobezoarā€¦the darker sodas consumed before a meal will melt them. I just never drink sodas.

I cant thank you enough for the info. I was starting to get upper ab pain and did not connect it to peraimmon

3 Likes

Yup, AFAIK itā€™s the hardiest non-astringent persimmon out there.

5 Likes

Thank you! It is beautiful!

2 Likes

@zendogā€¦ i usually do eat whole fruitsā€¦ skins and all when i canā€¦ and have tried that with american persimmons but had no luckā€¦ to me they just do not taste goodā€¦ no real flavor there, tuf, chewyā€¦

Wild muscadines and American persimmons. I eat the pulp onlyā€¦

2 Likes