Screw apples, grow persimmons

Chinebuli

Saijo

Zero spray, zero pests and disease.

31 Likes

At least in your location.

5 Likes

apples are pretty reliable for us and we eat them everyday about 6 months of the year… I am happy to expand to persimmons though.

6 Likes

I have a couple of persimmons trees in my yard. The ground is covered with fallen fruit with lots still on the trees. You are welcome to come get them all. :smiley:

Don’t touch my apples though. :disappointed:

6 Likes

Plum curculio wrecks my apples, I gave up and ripped them out.

5 Likes

Hard to argue with the titles sentiment when you just stab a persimmon in the ground and nothing else needed forever. I like the Americans better, but Saijo is a rock star. It’s thick skin makes it super easy to get the guts out and they taste great.

12 Likes

I still have apples… but gave up on peaches… and added persimmons.

This past spring added 9 or 10 persimmon varieties. 3-4 more next spring.

8 Likes

Ditto. Love apples AND persimmons. Gave up on peaches.

4 Likes

That’s interesting. Here they don’t hardly touch apples, but they destroy my European pears and Asian pears. It’s so bad I can go out in the afternoon on most days during curculio time in the spring, and handpick several females off the trees, if they don’t drop and get away before I can get them.

4 Likes

I’d love to have some American persimmons here. Seems they’re not real fond of temps much below -10 or -20.

5 Likes

I only get sweet lemons figs, and kumquats of all fruits. I have ripped out all the other fruit trees.

5 Likes

Are you cold enough where curculio doesn’t occur?

Not sure if you have, but check out what Buzz Ferver is growing as far as persimmons. He’s zone 4 and seems to be having some success. I think short seasons is a bigger issue than hardiness in those areas.

5 Likes

You are going to be swimming in persimmons, they produce a lot!

4 Likes

I’ve got curculio, but not so many that a few sprays of Imidan won’t take care of.

I suppose there’s a chance the hardiest persimmon may survive for a period of time here, but I don’t believe any will take the occasional -40 that we get.

Buzz’s place is 4b I believe. His latitude would be similar to Rochester, MN. Rochester is about 3.5 hours southeast of my location. I’m 4a and it used to be 3b. We get 3b winter lows at least every other year lately. I think Buzz gets lots of green persimmons many years. I know Ken Asmus (Oikos Nursery) used to get some ripe/nearly ripe persimmons at his place in 5a Michigan.

I am trialing a few of Bluehill Nursery’s hardiest seedling persimmons this year. I don’t expect much, but would be quite happy if they survived.

3 Likes

@ampersand … yes… i can see that… swimming in persimmons… practicing my preserving skills now to get ready.

You know that saying… when life gives you lemons… make lemonaid.

Well life has given me here on my place hundreds of very nice wild persimmon seedlings that just pop up in my fields and grow 5 ft a year and 1/2 inch diameter (as long as I just dont bushhog them.)

Life has given me awesome persimmon rootstock in abundance… and newly acquired grafting skills… so I am saying yes to at least a small persimmon orchard.

14 Likes

But you can’t eat that many persimmons, especially if you have a high protein diet.

1 Like

@Shuimitao . You are right that I will not be able to eat all those persimmons. They are pretty high in carbs… i cant eat a lot of peaches plums apples either.

I eat more low carb berries on the average day. Raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, blackberies… i can eat more of those…

M-F i eat no carbs for breakfast, lunch… then have 30 g carbs for dinner. So I fast from carbs for 24 hours each day M-F.

On the weekends Sat, Sunday… i fall back to paleo diet restrictions. This allows more carbs in the form of fresh fruit (in moderation).

The diet that keeps me healthy is not just high protein… but high fat, high protein and very low carb.

I will have to have help if most of those persimmons get eaten. I am retiring 12/29/2023… perhaps when all those come into production… i can sell some at local farmers market ? Or sell persimmon pulp?

Force them upon my friends family and neighbors :wink:

5 Likes

It’s not carb but persimmons can cause much worse medical problems if you eat too many and eat inappropriately, especially with a lot of proteins. If I remember correctly, you mentioned you had some digestive issues before, then you need to be very cautious.

See this link Carbonated soda treatment of phytobezoars - Wikipedia

I had been eating all kinds of persimmons when I grew up in China, but the adults always restricted how much pieces a kid could eat - it’s a known issue since ancient times.

By the way, a mature Asian tree can produce around 200 - 400 lbs, that’s way more than a family can consume in a year.

7 Likes

@Shuimitao thanks for the details on that … good to know. I doubt seriously it will be a real problem for me though… i have learned to keep a close check on my health issues and not let it get too far out of hand.

Occasionally I do eat more of the bad stuff than i should… but that has decreased even over the last year (still learning lessons on that). I have more will power than most… i think.

Two things happen to me consistently when i misbehave… sevier arthritus pain and gut pain.

So far every time i have brought that upon myself… 2 or 3 weeks of carnivore diet… makes it go away completely.

It is a balancing act for sure.

3 Likes

I may be totally wrong, but I think the bezoars are caused by astringent types, and not by non-astringent types.

3 Likes