Sea Buckthorn products

I can’t give a good answer to that. There are no flowers this year and I never looked closely at them in the past. I do remember that the male and female flowers do look different. Both were small and inconspecuous. The original male never grew much and eventually died. I have a new two year old male that is growing much better.

1 Like

my males are bigger than the females. how big where you bushes when they 1st fruited? my males are 6ft and females about 4ft. no berries yet.

Male was small when it flowered, about 4 ft. Female was 5 ft when it had a few berries. Now it’s 6 ft and no flowers. Others are 4ft and no flowers.

2 Likes

This is some sour stuff. Tastes like a very dry sour ferment. I am going to sweeten the rest and try some more later.

good to know. maybe ill get lucky next year!

lordkiwi, Is there a percentage of juice or ingredient list anywhere on the bottle or perhaps on a secondary label in English? Was there any greenish or dark content (ground leaf or seed)?

Male seaberry blossoms look like a tiny coin purse, 1/4" or smaller; female blooms look like a tiny green worm or filament, 1/4" or slightly longer. March-April.

1 Like

Yes but I will have to read it over Monday when I get home. I believe it was 100% juice nothing else. It also separated when left in the fridge as I read seabucktorn juice does. there was no debris in the juice so far.

I bought different cultivars from One Green World and not a single bloom nor fruits for 7 years so I uprooted all of them a long time ago. Would you be kind enough to sell me some runners?

1 Like

Mine are gone. I got rid of them. They will not produce fruit unless they get a lot of chill hours.

1 Like

One of the worst pests that I have seen with sea buckthorn are the citrus scales. I grow citruses and they love to cluster around the stems of sea buckthorn, much more so than on my citruses, so that’s another reason why I removed them.

1 Like

For anyone wanting to buy 100 plants cost is $375 , 10-plants $40 is reasonable for unsexed plants or $4.50 each on sale but it’s likely you will need to graft over 7-8 to females later out of 10 in a bundle so I got those http://www.burntridgenursery.com/mobile/Seaberry-Bushes/products/43/. I went ahead and ordered 10 more to try since these are the Siberian type ( supposedly very hardy) and 2-3 feet tall. Shipping charges included they will cost $61 to ship to any state and for the 10 plants. This is the last day this year they ship and these plants are guaranteed.

I would tend to think it is not the pH but some other factor. Seaberries do fine up here and our soil is quite alkaline (pH in the 7’s).

They do love water, though. The male I planted near the garden is invasive, I end up digging out runners and pruning it back every year. No doubt it is “stealing” water from then annual garden. Other seaberries which are not getting (or near) a source of regular water are way less robust in their growth. I suspect if I extended the drip system out to cover them, the seaberries would try and take over the orchard.

2 Likes

I have a very wet area down below the ponds where there are natural springs that seep water most of the year which might be perfect. I added the ponds to control the natural water. Nothing does well there because of all the deer so I wonder since these have thorns they might be ok long term. I could fence them a couple of years until they got bigger.

I’ve tried seaberry a couple times. Getting established is tough.

My current plants bloomed in the third year and I got fruit on my largest plant only. I’m down to 2 (of 3 ) now and while I get bloom I didn’t get fruit last or this year. I’m guessing the make died.

When they grow well they are easy… When not they are frustrating.

I haven’t noticed the scale issue, but my finger lime was attacked this spring, so maybe the seaberries were the source. If so I may have to give up on the seaberries (which is a shame because I have an additional 2 selected females in pots to be added)

Scott

1 Like

Anyone familiar with the many named varieties from this article http://uncommonfruit.cias.wisc.edu/seaberry-sea-buckthorn/ Titan’, ‘Leikora’, ‘Hergo’, ‘Star of Altai’, ‘Golden Sweet’, ‘Garden’s Gift’, ‘Amber Dawn’, ‘Harvest Moon’, ‘Baikal’, ‘Radiant’, ‘Sunny’ ?

i have a male and female of Radiant and Russian orange. the Russian is in a unirrigated drier spot on thin gravely soil. the Radiants are in my yard and get watered occasionally and are the same size as the Russians. both get fertilized in the spring.

1 Like

I grew Hergo and Leikora. Both grew vigorously to 10 feet, Leikora was more productive, ~15 pounds fruit vs ~5lbs for Hergo. Willamette Valley, Oregon 8b.

Follow-up planting of Star of Altai, Baikal, others, never grew much, same planting bed, removed all after 3rd year. I don’t think they were very well rooted from OGW.

1 Like

Thanks @LarryGene did you have any other problems with Leikora with insects, diseases etc.? This is Starks description “Easy to grow and adaptable. Semi-upright growing shrub features charming silvery green foliage. In late summer and into fall, bright orange berries surround the branches, occasionally used in striking floral arrangements. Berries are edible and high in vitamins A, C, and E. Simply squeeze them, sweeten with sugar or honey, and enjoy the deliciously nutritious juice. Heavy bearer even into winter; produces up to 25 lbs. of berries on one plant. Pest- and disease-resistant. Cold hardy. Ripens in September. Best pollinator: Seaberry Pollinator. Seaberry Pollinator required for proper pollination and fruit production.”

Here is jungs description
https://www.jungseed.com/P/30439/Leikora+Sea+Berry+Or+Sea+Buckthorn
Here is one green worlds description

Rain tree has a nice selection of seaberry cultivars
https://raintreenursery.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=berries+leikora-seaberry-fem-spring
Rolling river has a huge selection and good prices!

My Leikora foliage was noticeably bluish and more lacy than the other varieties. The only insects were earwigs (non-damaging) in the tight fruit clusters. No diseases. Flavor was undistinguishable from the other German varieties.

1 Like

@LarryGene Once I can tell males from females Leikora sounds like a good variety to graft the majority of males over to. I’m getting ahead of myself. This looks great https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RmznoXWCaT4