Sea Buckthorn products

I am excited to drink this.

4 Likes

i have 4 bushes im anxious for to start fruiting! supposedly the juice is 10xs more nutritious than oj. were did you get the bottled juice?

1 Like

Biebronka Lindin NJ
https://binged.it/2ly373g

1 Like

My 5 year old Seaberry had 2 berries 3 yrs ago and no flowers since then. They get 6 hrs of sun. Maybe that’s not enough.

Its not enough sun. Seaberrys from what I read are so intolerant of shade. Even lower branches shaded by upper branch die.

3 Likes

I have not tried that brand. From my experience the storebought juices were not as well filtered as my home-made juice.

I found 2 parts juice to 5 parts water and sweetened to taste made a very flavorful drink.

danzeb: We are assuming you have both male and female plants. Plants sold as seedlings may be non-productive.

I love fresh sea buckthorn juice but most of the bottled stuff is disgusting.

I have Titan Seaberry and also a male. I’ll give them one more year but with only 6 hrs of sun and many cloudy days there might not be enough light energy.

1 Like

If your a serious sea berry lover and planting an orchard I would highly recommend spending the $2-$3 each wholesale http://www.byronnursery.com/BareRootPlants2.html
If you have plant material graft them over to all female. I’ve tried 100 of them and they all died here in my Kansas soil. I would try again but I suspect they don’t like the alkalinity of the dirt so it’s likely I’m wasting my time.

what do you mean all female? i have a female hergo and a male from one green world

mine look okay from what i’ve seen, im always impressed when i see a plant with a high fruit to leaf ratio

mine are on their first year and i am going to try some holly tone on them to see if they like it i will report back

2 Likes

Many seedlings are males so I would graft most of the bushes over to female leaving very little male branches. There was a similar discussion recently about persimmons. A disproportionate amount of persimmon seedlings are males. I graft female branches on male mulberry frequently so most of my trees produce fruit and less allergens.

3 Likes

oh i see what you mean interesting point

1 Like

more likely your zone. they like it very cold. i have 2 growing in my yard and 2 growing on a exposed hillside with thin gravely soil. they were planted at the same time. i watered the ones in the yard and mulched well. the ones on the hill are doing just as good with no care as the ones i gave more care too. these plants like harsh conditions. i also planted their US cousins , the buffalo berry up there this year. with no watering in our so far dry spring/ summer and all 5 survived!

2 Likes

I’m able to grow Buffalo berry in this climate. I suspect your right about climate because they hung on for years but never grew and eventually died. Plants I got from Gene Redlin at Byron’s looked fantastic when I got them so it was not plants. I think they do grow them in India so I figured they were ok with the heat.

india? really?

1 Like

Yes I was surprised.could be a different variety of sea berry that is more heat tolerant.

I grew them for many years here in the California central valley and never had any problem with heat at all. Heat is not usually a problem for sea buckthorn.

1 Like

did they produce at warmer temps?

1 Like

Seaberry blooms are somewhat early and inconspicuous.

danzeb, how would you describe your seaberry male and female blooms?

1 Like

Mine never produced because I did not have enough winter chill. I eventually took them out.

2 Likes