Seaberry Pollination

Hi y’all,

Checked out a female seaberry in the way back of my forest garden today, does this look like fruit set to you all? Or unfertilized fruit set? :thinking:

2 Likes

It certainly is an advance from the bloom stage, but too early to tell if the berries will continue to swell and color. Are there males in the area with post-mature blooms?

From what I’ve seen unpollenated would have mostly fallen off by that stage with only a few still hanging on so yours are probably pollenated.

There are males in the area, but they are small and only a few years old… not sure what to look for in terms of post mature blooms.

Thank you Johann! I hope they swell into mature fruits, I will update the forum if/when that happens. Funny enough I purchased plants from you in 2020 for this very same forest garden :slight_smile: small world

1 Like

Yes, a shake or gentle brushing of the fruit would cause many of them to fall if unpollinated.

Spent male blooms will look like tiny coin purses with several wide-open compartments.
By this date the pollen should be long-gone, else a tap would cause pollen to fly.