Seattle should be moving to zone 9a in the next update

Damn…125 years…

Who would have thought you were THAT old…

lol

I wish the zone maps took into account climactic changes caused by large bodies of water better… My last 5 winters have been quite mild in comparison to those temperatures 12 miles away at my work. There is generally a 5-10 degree difference between my house and work on many of the coldest days.

Scott

1 Like

You can drown in a lake that is, on average, 6 inches deep.

The extremes are all that matters in most cases

Just as the drawdowns in a retirement portfolio are more important than the averages. Gotta survive…

1 Like

Yeah, though in this case it’s worth pointing out that what the USDA are averaging ARE the extremes each year. So it’s more like a lake that over the last 30 years averages 6" in its deepest point at the highest flood stage each year.

Could you drown in it during an unusually flooded year? Sure, but probably not in any given year.

2 Likes

That is why I think Seattle should stay in zone 8. In 10 of the past 30 years it has been below the zone 9 minimum temperature in Seattle, according to the above chart. That is more than occasionally. Here (zone 9a Texas) I would think we get below minimum temperature less than 10 percent of the winters.

Citrus are usually shown to be a zone 9 and 10 plant. And a 5 to 10% chance each year of going below zone 9 would be acceptable. But greater than 30% means you stand a good chance of losing the citrus trees each year. It would be misleading to the gardening public to think they have a good chance of growing citrus when it gets too low that often. Here people would practically stop planting citrus if we had 6 straight years of below 20 degree temperatures.

1 Like

@garybeaumont those are good points as to why USDA zones aren’t reliable as a sole measure of hardiness for West Coast locales, but the USDA map is based on just that one simple mathematical calculation, and as far as I know they do not tweak those zones based on any other planting-related considerations or % chance of a colder temperature.

If you look at the current (as of 2012) map, there are already a number of 9a pockets in Western WA, and I don’t think anyone there is trying to grow any citrus other than maybe yuzu or something.

1 Like

Several figs do well in the Puget Sound lowlands. They’re actually easier to grow than most Stone fruits.
Just find the warmest place in the yard.
Bald-faced German Hornets can be a pest.

I live in the Gulf Islands right by your San Jaun Islands. According to the maps I’m in zone 9b. We’ve also experienced record breaking heat so far this spring/summer with no rain for a very long time. I was driving to a local nursery today and saw 4 Turkey vultures at the roadside. I’ve only seen one before in almost 60 years on the island. Guess I should have bought the banana tree I saw at the nursery today. Even the banana tree looked sun scorched.

1 Like

:joy: I know that’s a little tongue in cheek, but my seedling bananas are loving this summer so far!

5 Likes

Decided to make a chart, this one is through the end of 2022, showing what the USDA zone calculation would be from 1977 to present (data starts in 1948, but the 30-year average can’t start until 30 years later):

Can see that the 30-year average has been going up now for the last 40+ years, but didn’t cross from zone 8b to zone 9a until around 2013.

3 Likes