Seckel Pear

I get my very first Seckels this year. I cannot wait. :pear:

3 Likes

Beautiful tree

I grafted Seckel this year simply because of its prolific nature. I ate several store bought Seckel last year. While I liked them they definitely weren’t my favorite. They had a very floral flavor to me. Bosc has a similar flavor profile to my palate as well. I much preferred Forelle and Red Bartlet. Would love to try magness and comice.

1 Like

My Seckel is in its 8th year (at least). I get a few each year, the squirrels get many, many more.

My wife and I were out of town and got some at a store and they were bland and mealy. My own have never been that way.

They are wonderful and I usually pick and then leave on my desk at work until I can smell it or its top is slightly soft to pressure.

Scott

2 Likes

But when do you pick? This is always the issue for me with Seckels

I think last year it was the first week of Sept. I just put them in a converted chest freezer that is set around freezing. They seem to last a while. This year i might just try to give most of them away since i have Bartletts and a bunch of Harrow Sweets also fruiting.

I think they are excellent pears to can??

1 Like

Everyone seems to be giving high praise to Harrow Sweet

Maybe I should add it to my FrankenKieffer so it, too, can never bloom

5 Likes

Yeah that looks like Seckel to me. They can size up very nicely if thinned enough. Sometime you can see them for sale at fancy grocers were they are almost as big as Bartletts and they are usually a pretty penny. I picked mine around August tenth or so when I had em. My tree only produced one crop though due to lack of chill most years. In the Austin area the winters are stop start and have many warm days. These erratic winters really seem to effect some varieites of pears. They sure were good though!

3 Likes

Good to hear. These are my first and I wasn’t sure.

1 Like

I suspect I could grow Seckel in Dallas a few hours north but I dont have room I may graft some onto my trees that I have growing. Enjoy yours Sir!

1 Like

Ate a seckel last year from my tree and it was amazing! This year there are many more blossoms.

4 Likes

I grafted Seckel and Bosc pears about 3 years ago and hopefully they will produce soon. Btw, your little yellow pear scion took and I am also anxious to try this pear fruit also. That reminds me to spray copper on Chicken Altoona pear. It was covered with rust all over the leaves last year. Here is a thought, it would be great to cross the Seckel with your little yellow pear, I am sure the end product would be great.

Tony

1 Like

Tony,
I would not want to cross small pear, Seckel, with another small pear, Clark’s. There would be a potential of creating a pear a size of a jujube, there. :smile:

4 Likes

Small pear candy and nothing wrong with that :pear:

4 Likes

I wonder if the small size is just from a full fruit set. My seckel produced 4 pears its first year last year and they were all pretty large and seemed as big as the picture of yours on the paper plate. (Dont get me wrong they were small compared to a bartlett). I was very excited the two i ripened properly tasted excellent and it did not get any disease either!

1 Like

@tonyOmahaz5
That little yellow pear is not very tasty the first year or two it fruits but when you taste that heavenly flavor once it matures when its right its a shock! Its different from any other! Crossing it with seckel, warren, magness, harrow sweet or comice would make a pear so good it should be criminal to eat! Glad you liked the Drippin’ Honey and see what i see in them now. I really enjoy those as well and you can see why after eating them in recent years. Your a true pear lover Tony so you know good when you eat it!

4 Likes

Had my first seckel pear last year from a farmers market. This week has been my grafting week. I was able to get scion from the same tree and add it to the kids tree house. It could be a pretty tasty tree house in a few years!

7 Likes

You listed all my favorite pears in one sentence @clarkinks :blush:… You made me eager to taste that “little yellow pear”.

3 Likes

@Ahmad we left a few of the best out eg.Bosc, Abate fetel etc. Are good when grown right and many others are reportedly very good eg. Clara Frijs, Citron de carmes, doctor desportes, fondante de moulins lille etc. . The small yellow pear ive tried hard to identify its origin and i feel im getting closer. I suspect i will have an answer in a couple of years otherwise if something happens to me i made sure other people are growing the small yellow pear and it will not be lost all together. I’m looking hard at pears grown in this group as possible siblings Canadian Pears Enie, Menie, Miney, Moe, Phileson

1 Like

I don’t have any pear trees, but a near by orchard have a bunch of varieties and that’s where I tasted the wonderful Seckel and Magness. Harrow Sweet and Comice come next to me. I have tasted Bosc from farmers market and it was good, but not up to home-grown fruit quality. One of the best varieties I tried, had similar skin to Bosc but was the same size as a Seckel; this was bought from a farmers market and it was imported from New Zealand (unfortunately, I don’t know it’s name). Apparently New Zealand has some great fruit varieties that we in USA, regretfully, don’t know much about…

2 Likes