Seckel Pear

My Seckel do not change their shape as they grow. They just a bit bigger and the red blush remains.

Is your Seckel tree multi-grafted? I still am skeptic that your last pic was Seckel.

1 Like

Here are additional photos. I will pick them soon.
I took photos on the side of the tree where the pears are more red.

3 Likes

Clark,
The ones on the tree that you just posted looked like Seckel.

The green one with a long neck in the post # 120 looked different. That’s just my humble opinion.

1 Like

They are all from the same branch. Not all pears look the same. They look different once they are picked as well. It would be nice if I got a seckle sport and ofcourse it’s possible.

The seckle harvest off one tree is half a 5 gallon bucket. The tree though smaller than the rest is still 20 feet tall. Heavy with sweet little seckles this year! Very high quality pears! Today is August 22nd 2021 and today is around 90 degrees since we are finally cooling down a little bit.

5 Likes

These are picked early and usually are a little deeper russet color. Taste excellent .

4 Likes

I picked one yesterday and it was crunchy and not very sweet

I ALWAYS miss the right time on these

1 Like

I am in zone 6. I don’t pick mine until Sept.

2 Likes

The which it almost is

My last year’s note said Ayers - Sept 11 in my zone 6.

1 Like

Picked our Seckel pears today on a gray morning that promises to turn to rain about the time farmers market begins.

Showing off the different sizes, shapes, colors, and conditions. The cracked one on the bottom represents quite a few that will only be used for cider.

9 Likes

Rain came early and lifted by the start of market. One customer spent some time looking at the pears and reading my little blurb about Seckels, then looked at our garlic array, and then had some questions about pears. I handed him a sheet I’ve prepared about “Waiting for Pears,” and he spent more time reading. Finally, he did buy a quart of them.

4 Likes

That’s a pro move with the information sheet

I think I’ll go poke my tree today

2 Likes

I had 3 Seckels on the tree. Picked them.

One was all mushy and tasteless. Yuckkk!

2nd one was sweet and good, rather crisp. Better than mush.

Will eat 3rd one today

1 Like

I put in in a fridge for now.

1 Like

I picked the rest of my Seckel today. About two dozen in total. Definately a good little pear. Gave some to dad and he really liked them as well. Not as good as Harrow Delight though.

While picking the seckel I knocked off a large Korean giant. They really are giants. Decided to cut it up and taste it even though I assume it’s too early for them. I thought they would ripen in October here. My kids and I sat around and ate some of the seckel with the Korean giant. Both of my kids commented that the Korean giant was sweeter than Seckel. Clearly decieving because the HG had zero acid or tartness. I suspect it was low brix but without any acid even the slightest sugar will taste sweet. I’m not sure how ripe the KG was but it was surprisingly good. The best Asian Pear I’ve eaten this year. Skin is too thick though to enjoy. With my other Asian pears it was easy to tell if they were ripe based on them starting to yellow. But with KG they are very russeted and I’m not sure if there will be any noticable color change.

2 Likes

3rd Seckel was underripe and tasteless

In all the years, I think I may have had 2 or 3 of those pears that were good

1 Like

I admit, my young tree hasn’t made great pears yet either. But I’ve had really good ones.

2 Likes

One thing is that the other pears all seem to bloom before the Seckel, so there’s no good pollenizer for it. Very few fruits ever set.

1 Like

I had a good set last year, but the whole thing had loads of blister mites. The only of my pears to get enough to get your attention.

1 Like