Second round of thinning on my Asian pears

My Asian pears over set every year. Second round of thinning should be good until harvest.

Tony

7 Likes

Tony,
I think the statement “should have thin more”. should be permanently attached to any A.pear trees.

I try to thin early and often. I feel that thinning at this stage does not help much, in my experience.
What variety is that?

I only have Korean Giant fruiting this year. 20 th century went biennial on me
( if you don’t count two fruit I found on the whole tree last week).

2 Likes

Tip,

This is my Multi grafted Asian pears tree on a giant ten years old Cleveland Flowering pear tree. Lots of varieties on this tree: Shinko, Shinseiki, Chojuro, Korean Giant, Mishirasu, Honey sweet, Bartlett, Yoinashi, Green Jade, Tennosui, Lanti Jululi, and so on…about 16 varieties total. BTW, I am thinning out the ugly fruits so the branches will not break due to heavy fruits.

Tony

1 Like

I have not done much A pear grafting. I have Kosui and Drippin Honey on a Hosui. That’s about it.

I need to graft more A pear. What A pear variety would you recommend?

I think you need a real early one like Shinseiki so you can enjoy them in the middle of July.

Tony

Tony,

Those pears look great. Just curious, do you have a spray regimen for your pears and do you have any fire blight pressure? I planted my first two pear trees this year, so don’t know how they will do, but have seen fire blight in ornamental pears very close by, so would like to have an idea of what I may be up against. Thanks!

Irby,

I don’t spray my Asian pears at all. So far no fire blight in 10 yrs. This year was so hot and humid but no issue with disease here in Omaha except for the annual Japanese beetles.

Tony

Thanks, Tony. Sounds like you are in a good place for the pears. I have really been fighting Japanese beetles and now the brown “June” beetles that feed at night, especially on my Asian persimmons!

Irby,

What state are you in? I have had Asian pears with no spray for several years.

Last year was the first time many were damaged by catfacing bugs. I strongly suspected stinkbugs. This year, I’ve bagged them with plastic ziplock bags just like I did with apples.

I am in central Virginia. I was hoping to go no spray as well. If the pears do have fire blight strikes, hopefully I can just prune them out. I will definitely consider bagging the fruit when they begin producing, but I just put them in the ground this year.

Irby,

You are in the area more humid and hotter than mine. There are several members in your vicinity.

Scott Smith, Matt_in Maryland are closer to you. Their advice on disease resistant varieties is probably more valid than mind. Bagging A. pear will be a challenge as they set thousands of fruit. If you can thin about 80% off, you’ll be all set.

What varieties of A. pear you grow?

I am growing Shin Li and Korean Giant. They are supposed to be good for fire blight resistance as A. pears go.

I love KG. Mine does not have any issue. I don’t know about Shin Li. I had Shinko. Very good resistant but tasted bland. But taste can be regional/climate dependent. Good luck.

Holy Smoke…! That’s a lots of fruits! You’ll need an industrial dehydrator to keep them all! :open_mouth:

I thought I had thinned heavily too! Fortunately, the tree is growing vigorously even with this load.

1 Like

And I’m sooooo pleased with the way Shinseiki is performing. 2 years ago, it was a broken branch in a multi graft tree, almost all the way to the main trunk. Now it’s loaded!