Seedless blackberries?

I am told that Chester thornless blackberries are septaploid and seedless. It is said not to pose any weed threat as it is sterile. I assumed that this was not true.

I grew what was labelled as Chester and my plant has seeds. It may have been mislabelled.

Is Chester really septaploid? Is it meant to be seedless? I am assuming not, but thought I would ask here.

I have never eaten a seedless Chester.

1 Like

Yes it has seeds.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies.

I think I already know the answer, but are Chester blackberry seeds viable? Could they germinate?

I got pretty excited opening this thread. The only thing I hate so far about blackberries is the seeds. A seedless variety would be amazing.

1 Like

Never heard that about Chester or any other common variety, thornless or thorny.

You need a Miller food mill. I make seedless blackberry jam!

2 Likes

@BG1977 We have a gardening show and magazine called “Gardening Australia” which is full of advice. It is one of the most popular gardening shows in the country. Unfortunately much of the advice and tips they offer are of this level of accuracy.

Is Peter Cundall still on it ?

No, he left a few years ago and it has been down hill since then.

1 Like

i thought it was just me, but every time i make smoothies with blackberries in them or even just mix them in yogurt, the seeds are so big i have to spit them out. it makes trying to eat them very unpleasant. but i don’t remember this issue in the past, so is it possible the ones i’ve bought recently just had big seeds? also, the ones i ate years ago were hand-picked from wild bushes.