Seedless Kumquat Marmalade

12 days ago we harvested 2 gallons of seedless kumquats. I gave 2 quarts to my neighbor who has since made some French kumquat jam.

The marmalade I made last year was too chunky so I took a different approach this time.

1. 2 quarts at a time, I put the kumquats into a Ninja food processor. I put the power setting on Medium and held down the Pulse button for about 5 seconds - or at least until big pieces stopped whizzing by. Sometimes I had to push it again for another second. The result was diced kumquats about the size of store bought pickle relish plus liquid. I dumped the batches one by one into a large standing bowl.
  2. When I was done dicing, I got out the OXO food mill and inserted the medium screen. I put 2 cups of the kumquat slush at a time into the food mill to strain it. After pressing out the liquid (and a little bit of the fruit) I then held the food mill over an 8 cup pyrex pitcher and ran the food mill backwards while holding it at an angle. This caused the strained kumquat pieces to fall into the pitcher.
  3. In the leftover liquid there was maybe a cup of slush so I repeated the above step using the fine mesh screen. That took very little time. Altogether I now had just over 8 cups of strained kumquat relish and 2 cups of kumquat juice. I covered them both and set them in the refrigerator. I needed a rest!
  4. Two days later I followed traditional jam making procedures using the relish, granulated sugar, and Ball Low-Sugar pectin. I knew my pressure cooker could only handle 7 1/2 pint jars so I made two batches.
  5. Upon heating 4 cups of relish in a stovetop pot, I saw there was not enough liquid. Now I had purposely strained out the sour kumquat juice so I added filtered water from the refrigerator tap ā€“ using 3/4 cup to supplement what I observed in the pot. Once the contents were simmering I added 1 cup of granulated sugar all at once and spent sometime stirring it in. Then I let it simmer for a few minutes (Iā€™m an impatient cook). Then I started adding the pectin powder 1 Tbsp at a time, but sprinkling the pectin over the surface and spending about a minute stirring it in and making sure no lumps remained. Then like before I waited before adding the next, using 4 Tbsp total.
  6. I then ladled the mixture into 1/2 pint jars and after screwing the lids on tight, placed them in the pressure cooker. This unit has a 1" stand to use with jars. I then added enough water to the pot interior to bring the level up about 1/3 from the bottom of the jars. This is a high-temperature pot and kumquat is acidic so I set the pressure-cook time for 10 minutes. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Is that the finished product in the last picture?
How is the flavor? I imagine it is pretty tasty.

Yes!

The flavor is the same (good) flavor as last year, and the texture is much better. Overall Iā€™m very happy with it.