Seedling Apples for cider

My latest seedling apple is flowering after 10 years. This is a random seedling. It’s not unusual to get blooms at the top like that when they first start producing. It is very exciting to see what they turn out to be.

8 Likes

I’ve got a M111 that is 7 years old and had two tip clusters on the cultivar grafted to it this year.
Have 2 or 3 apples set.

I have a seedling about 7 years that has not yet bloomed. Both similar size. Both healthy.

Our ancestors from 300 years ago surely made use of any apples or any other food they had.
Animal food if not human food…and fermented cider generally the only alcoholic drink to be had.

3 Likes

I have not seen any apples out of that new seedling but there were a bunch. I will check back in a month or so.

2 Likes

I planted a Sundance last year. Sounded like a tasty apple with good disease resistance. Curious what your actual experience with it has been?

2 Likes

I’m not your best guy for that lets see if @39thparallel can help you with Sundance. There are better apple people than me on here. Apples are a pet project for me i’m more of a pear guy actually.

1 Like

Perfect little red apple for cider. Crisp , sweet and enough sour to call them snappy! Love them!

5 Likes

More so than just taking a bite out of an apple?

1 Like

Seedling apples for livestock (or deer), cider…and maybe you get a good one for eating.

Seedlings, that’s the method our ancestors got most of their apples…(although some did do grafting).

1 Like

Depending on where ones ancestors came from- certainly not the ancestors of my Ethiopian wife. Earlier Americans relied on seedlings when Europeans were already mostly growing grafted trees of select varieties, but even these early Americans who had no access to grafted trees tended to select varieties and graft within their own orchards. That was the cause of an explosion of new and exciting varieties in this country when Europe was comparatively static in developing new varieties.

A particular seedling would produce superior apples to others in a homestead orchard so the owner would graft other trees to that one. Neighbors would find out about it and get some wood to grow it in their own orchards… and so on and so on. Exceptional apple varieties would spread all over the country this way. This would include varieties best for cider, best for drying, best for butter, best for annual productivity and best for eating raw and storage.

Not much flavor this year but there are lots of them

3 Likes

Wow, can’t complain about production on that!

One of my seedlings had its first fruit, it was a GoldRush seedling and it was a small, soft, and less flavorful version of GR. In short, firewood for this winter.

2 Likes

@scottfsmith

Yes i never can guess what seedling will produce the most fruit. These seedlings produce some fruit typically which is something few other apples will do at my location.