Seedling peach tree

This little tree was a bit enthusiastic this year. 12 peaches last year, now this, grin.

It is a seed from one of our own peaches, all open pollinated…some red haven, some father davids, some harrow beauty, etc, all mixed up over the years.

12 Likes

Looks like you got a good one in that seedling!

4 Likes

There is no need to buy peach trees. Go to the grocery store and buy a peach and plant the seed.

3 Likes

Nyet…doesn’t have a high percentage of getting a good or a big peach!
(Been there, tried that, 50 to 60 years ago.)
Elberta, Hale Haven, other seeds.
Typically,
fruits smaller than plums.

2 Likes

I know that with certain citrus, pawpaws, some others you can get closer to the parents in fruit quality on seedlings (if not a clone on some citrus). Good to know that my peach tree experiments will likely end up with grafting, unlike the apparently awesome results @jocelyn has to start this post! Did you end up with ANY seedlings worthy of propagation with your trials @BlueBerry?

3 Likes

Do they taste good?

3 Likes

Personally, no.

But, sometimes I’ve seen seedling peaches that turned out to be nice and delicious fruits. I haven’t studied the percentages, but they’re not high. Yet, needless to say, it happens, as that is the source or modern ‘improved’ cultivars.

2 Likes

Yes, they are yummy.

3 Likes

I germinated a 20+ peach seeds from peaches that grow in my general area and climate, Georgia and South Carolina. Of those I kept the 5 most healthy and vigorous. 3 of them turned out to produce large, tasty peaches. One produced extremely disease prone nectarines (or very light fuzz peaches). One produced a lot of tree and very few, small peaches. None of them were magically brown rot resistant.

3 Likes

Yah, I start 5 or 6 every year, and cull hard once they fruit. Some are huge trees for their age and make 6 fruits, chop. Some are tiny and bend to the ground in a good pollination year.

4 Likes

@jocelyn
Hope you still hanging out here.

This is a seedling of Autumn Star. It has produced large peaches. It is a late peach (ripening around now) with firm flesh. It tastes a bit on a tart side. (I like sweet fruit). Overall, it is a decent peach.

5 Likes

That’s a nice-looking peach!

3 Likes

Yah, I like sweeter ones too. Still hanging in, but heavily involved with caregiving. Husband has been ill.
No stone fruits this year, plus 5 for a few days, then minus 25 for a few days last winter…no stone fruits.
On the other hand, the hazelnuts have been great :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wish your husband speedy recovery. Send you good thoughts and warm wishes.

2 Likes

My seedling peach is free stone, which is a plus. Deep yellow coloring is nice. Wish it was a tad sweeter for me.

1 Like

Thanks.

1 Like