Seedlings You're Growing

I’ll snap some pics later today. I toned down a lot because even an acre fills up quick.

2 Likes

Surprise of this day… feijoa variegated 20180704_122735-1

4 Likes

Avocado

7 Likes

what are the paper cup things you are growing in in your original pictures?

Here are some juneberry seedlings just coming up, this picture was taking about a week ago…

3 Likes

Hey man,

Root pruning containers which I do not recommend for large growing trees. They’re great though for hardwood/softwood cuttings and tomato plants or pepper plants or flowers etc. Here are a couple of my favorite sellers:

This is the ultimate starter pack. It won’t get any better than this. I spent days on the internet researching:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078N75MG8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And the 22 cm x 20 cm from this seller is as large as I’ve found w/o going to root pruning gallon containers made of denser fabric/again I’ve done hours of research (20 x 22 = 1/2 gal./2 qt. container) :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-100pcs-Round-Fabric-Pots-Plant-Pouch-Root-Container-Grow-Bag-Container-White/202292530259?hash=item2f19930c53:m:m0wiOkvVQONVqvsEKMhMEaA:rk:1:pf:0&var=502261271734

Dax

3 Likes

I just got some of these trays for growing out cuttings and seedlings, they are fairly sturdy, should be reusable many times.
https://www.greenhousemegastore.com/containers-trays/trays-flats/deep-cell-plug-trays?returnurl=%2Fcontainers-trays%2Ftrays-flats%2F
sureroots%203x5

1 Like

Those look great.

I’ve switched to Stuewe containers that are at least 10” tall. A pawpaw seedling in a Stuewe MT2510 (2.5” x 10”) will grow to 18-24” in its first year vs those root growing bags that make a 3-5” seedling. I only know because my buddy showed me this one-season-growth pawpaw seedling. He has 100’s of pawpaw seedlings all that size/same amount of time.

Arriving today are MT310 that I’m going to use for Kanza pecans. 3” x 10”

I also bought the flat and legs to go with the flat. (Tray6 & Tray Leg)

The Tray6 is great alone to fill and plant say 100 pecans in it which will get them up 6-7" their first year and then knock it over and the seedlings come apart so easily to be transplanted. So dual use of the Tray6

It’s been my observation that tall pots are best for tree seed. Of course I don’t know what you’re growing in those 3.5” x 5” cell trays.

Dax

3 Likes

Primarily they will be used for aronia and juneberry seedlings this spring. Plan to start them indoors under lights, also I will be transplanting some rooted black currant cuttings into them that I have going right now.

Think they should work well for starting garden plants also this spring, tomatoes, peppers, etc.

1 Like

Those are then perfect for aronia/juneberry size seed as well as garden starts.

I don’t know if a long container with a 2.5 - 3" opening at the top is produced with root-pruning slats but I’d like to have some.

Dax

You might like these also, but they arent cheap, I got 3 trays and sets of the 12" deep pots just to try out tho.
https://www.greenhousemegastore.com/containers-trays/plant-pots/cn-pif-tr

proptek
These are kinda nice cuz standard 1020 humidity domes fit over them just right also.

1 Like

I like those!

Thanks, man.

Dax

Darn… a little late for me to comment but do you know you’ve got Z. mauritiana there? Several of us on here have had the same problem. The ones I had last year were toast after the first couple of freezes.

Thanks for showing those nursery bags,Dax.I just ordered some,primarily for Fig cuttings in the near future. bb

2 Likes

They however lack the characteristic white/silvery underside to their leaves. After talking it over with a couple of people through PM’s we are not entirely sure what I have. The seeds were bought from a reputable source and others have the seed as well to see how it performs for them.

1 Like

Yeah - same here for the silvery undersides. I sent photos of mine to several PhDs in India and a couple of growers here in the states and they all agreed on mauritiana. Looks exactly like mine which were also from reputable seed sellers… got refunds from both of them.

1 Like

I’m rooting about 30 figs in them right now. They work excellent Brady.

heat mat sandwiched between reflective insulation and holes drilled in the tubs. and as fungus shows up I spray. works great.

Dax

4 Likes

I’ve actually had good results with larger fabric root pruning containers, up to 10G.

1 Like

No doubt… It’s just that for propagation I wish these lightweight bags were made up to gallon size. My go to are 10-gallon etc. fabric bags now, always.

Dax

1 Like

Gotcha. For propagation I use an 8” deep plastic (i.e., reusable) rootpruning pot called Pioneer Pot. It has unfortunately been discontinued, but I like them and have about 100 of them. So far they’re holding up.

2 Likes

update on juneberry

currants

1 Like