Seeds from grafted trees carrying improved genes, or not?

Dude, you get dragon fruit in your tomatoes and im going to be grafting cannabis and papavers onto everything for a little extra “spice and flavor” haha. I love it. Obciously there are limits. But if serviceberry and medlars are close enough, and quince i wonder what we could do with enough interstems!?

1 Like

I watched a video of some university horticulturist saying that before pollen hybridization was used to create new varieties of plants, grafting hybridization was used to hybridize, the original form of hybridization, that video was very simple, a flashback type of video, and sadly I lost track of where I had seen the video, I looked hard to find the video again and failed.

As far as me knowing some details about grafting hybridization, like that two whole plants need to be grafted together, there is a shaman from central or south America, I forget from where, that owns a nursery in Florida, he has used ‘grafting hybridization’, to create a new variety of ‘Moringa oleifera’ that has better nutrition than average, a combination of 6 different varieties. He appears to have somehow learned the technique somewhere outside of the USA. Someone that I have a lot of respect for, has talked with this man about ‘grafting hybridization’, he got to ask this man questions. Although it’s not like the expert in ‘grafting hybridization’ gave him any real education, nor was he given a class in ‘grafting hybridization’.

Watch this, and look at those amazing ‘Moringa oleifera’ pods, watch the two last segments, if you don’t want to watch the whole thing

1 Like

If this fusion worked then it sounds like it’d be a chimera rather than a genetic hybrid. Maybe the terminology has just changed and “hybridization” wouldn’t be the correct term now

1 Like

I love this thread. There two things that so far have been overlooked in genetics. Epigenetics, the field of how stressors can trigger through some form of messenger molecule the activation of dormant DNA through meythlated groups. It’s been shown to have been an effect on the children and grandchildren of the Irish that live through to potato famine. Many more recent rodent studies how a whole new level of genetic research. This would make sense if in the sap some of the “messenger” molecules carry to cells in the other part (rootstock or scion) and trigger actual changes in what genes are expressed - not writing new code but turning segments of code on or off. The genes expressed because of stressors can actually continue to be expressed in direct offspring as well.

To add another level of complexity, some organelles in cells have their own DNA and when cells are damaged they can “migrate” surviving until another cell absorbs them. These could possibly impact effectiveness of things like mitochondria and chloroplasts and that could cause differences in growth rate, sweetness of fruit etc.

Again, I’m not an expert, but from the research I’ve read - nobody really is yet.

3 Likes