Seeking Scion Ordering Advice - Timing

When do you folks like to order scion wood? I’ve noticed some sellers are taking orders now, others aren’t open yet. I like to keep my options open, but I also worry about missing my window on first choices or having to order from too many sources.

2 Likes

Maybe those who are taking orders now are fulfilling them later?
Seems too early.
I don’t like the idea of keeping the scions cut for to long - months if processed/delivered now. Even in dormant wood prolonged storage’d decrease vitality, and much more so that of the (this year’s) spring/summer growth. Ideally, I’d get the scions as shortly before grafting as possible. I’d rather miss on some for the year than decrease my success rate and waste energy and material.
Perhaps some exchanges will take place and you could have them freshly cut late winter? Or definitely order later, ensuring it’s as freshly cut as possible.

2 Likes

There is zero correlation between when orders are taken and when wood is cut.

2 Likes

All the places I’m considering ship in the winter/spring. I just get spooked when I see some sources opening orders and being out of stock already.

1 Like

The way it works is if you want something rare order early and they cut the scions in January or Feb usually and send them out. Anything else order by the last day they list so they send them later if spring sometimes comes later like it does here. I dont like scions sitting in my refrigerator for months but it happens every year. This year im not needing anything and wanting very little so im in no hurry.

1 Like

@scottfsmith put this list together with sources we all use and keeps adding to it Scionwood sources. I like wood from vendors in most cases as opposed to getting wood from various people but its up to you.

1 Like

Yes, that’s a great list. I found it earlier and used that to fuel my search. Thanks for the actionable advice on rarity and order time.

1 Like