Sheldon Pear?

Anyone growing Sheldon Pear? It was historically planted in Maine and I’ve found a couple trees which might be a match

9 Likes

You are coming up with some very rare pears. It should be a higher quality than most. I do not grow it but that does look like Sheldon except Sheldon should be mid season. When was this photo taken? It also looks smaller than normal. I would like to get scion wood of that pear in the photo if possible in Feb . Thank you!

Sheldon’

Type: Cultivar name

Sheldon, Major Wayne County

EUROPEAN CULTIVAR

Type: Site identifier

Group: CROPTYPE

CPYR 2107

Type: Other or unclassified name

Group: LOCAL

Corvallis local number

Narrative

Full description and color plate in Hedrick (1921). Developed from a seed grown by Major Sheldon, Huron, New York. Added to the APS catalog list in 1856. Fruit medium or larger in size, roundish, slightly turbinate and truncated at the base. Skin thick, somewhat granular, tender, dull yellowish-green in color, overspread with light russet, sometimes blushed, numerous dots, not particularly attractive. Flesh white, slightly granular, buttery or melting, very juicy. Sweet, aromatic, vinous flavor, rates among the best in dessert quality. Midseason. Tree sturdy, vigorous, upright grower, moderately productive. Fairly susceptible to fireblight. – H. Hartman, Oregon Agr. Experiment Station, 1957.

One of my favorites for the home garden. With Sheldon, the pears may be picked when they first start to fall. This pear has a green skin thickly covered with fine russet dots turning a fawn gold when fully ripe. Medium to large in size, the shape is beautifully uniform and symmetrical like that of a large truncated top with a thick stem. The flesh is white, very juicy, melting, sweet, with a delicious, delicately spicy flavor. As Hedrick truly said, ‘The flesh is melting and juicy, and deserves more than that of almost any other pear, the adjective luscious.’ They are ready for eating as soon as the flesh yields to firm pressure. – Robert Nitschke, Southmeadow Fruit Gardens Catalog, 1976.

Sheldon. Origin New York. Medium or large, roundish, obtuse obovate; skin greenish yellow, covered with thin russet, a little brownish crimson with russet dots on exposed side; stalk short, stout; cavity deep; calyx open. Flesh whitish, sweet, very juicy, melting, vinous, texture rather coarse; very good; October. Tree vigorous; it requires double working on quince. (Description from Brackett. ‘The Pear and How to Grow It’, USDA Farmers’ Bulletin 482.) – Pear Growing in California, Weldon, 1918.

sheldon
From the website https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail?id=1436439

3 Likes

@alan are you growing this one?

1 Like

Yes, according to Cummins I am, but it isn’t russeted.

2 Likes

@JesseinMaine

How did this turn out for you?

I collected scionwood from the historic Sheldon tree if anyone wants some

2 Likes