Sherwood Jujube finally fruiting in Dallas

It was planted bareroot spring 2010. I’ve only gotten 2-3 in previous years. Looks like I’ll get 50+ this year

5 Likes

How is the taste compare to HJ or Sugarcane?

Tony

1 Like

Too early to tell, maybe in a month or so I’ll know

1 Like

Bob,

Can you take some photos of your Sherwood jujube tree with fruits? Did you like the taste?

Tony

1 Like

Sure. Taste is great, one of the best. Takes longer to come into production than the average jujubee, & its a shy bearer for me. Leaves are very distinctive.

I have 2; 1 took 6-7 years to start producing; 2nd had a few the 2’nd leaf. 2’nd one was planted in ideal conditions; soil tested, planted in a 50 ft row which was all mulch, sprinkler watered 3 days a week; but this year, leaf3, the Cotton Root Rot caused all the fruit to drop

1 Like

I really want a Sherwood and haven’t bought one because of the length of time to fruit. I think that may be what I ate thirty years ago that was so good.

Katy

1 Like

will post some sherwood photos once get the chance :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

My Sherwood tree which is about 10 years old is loaded this year. My Li, which is a couple years younger, has a good crop, the biggest it’s ever had, but not as big a crop as the Sherwood. About 3-4 years ago my Sherwood was loaded like it is this year. Every other year it has had next to no fruit. The taste of my Sherwood is always very plain, not really fit for fresh eating, except at the very end of the season (some time in October, I can’t remember exactly when) the last few fruits to ripen (<5% of the total) have been quite good. None of my jujubes has ripened yet this year.

Interesting. Did you get much fruit in years 4-5-6?

Thanks,

Our sherwoods are stingy, as usual, and worse, a bit delayed. We also just uploaded more photos of sherwood and other cultivars at our webpage.

2 Likes

Every year since I planted it 10 years ago my Sherwood has had hardly any crop at all except for this year and one year about 3 years ago – I can’t remember exactly when it was – when the crop has been outstanding (in quantity, not taste.) My other trees have been much more consistent, especially my Lang which was planted at the same time as the Sherwood. It has always had a much better crop than Sherwood’s bad years but never anywhere close to Sherwood’s two good years.

4 Likes

Thanks. Now I have 3 reports in Tx saying slow to fruit & scant bearer. 1 NC report saying slow to fruit, scant bearer, tastes bad. One NV report saying scant bearer. Yet Roger Meyer told me that in his retail operation in S Cal, he sold Li’s as his early crop, & Sherwoods as his late crop.

Maybe Sherwood should stay in Ca.

1 Like

I had a report of one in Phoenix that was a scant bearer until year seven then was loaded.

Bob,

How old is your Sherwood jujube?

Tony

Planted spring 2010