Shipping apple scion

How much does scion shipping affects viability? I would like to hunt down a few oddball cold-hardy-early-fruiting-hard-cider varieties to add to the herd. I’ll also collect some of my own scion in case somebody wants some.

2 Likes

@don1357

As long as scions are shipped in cold weather you won’t have any problems with them being viable. Give them a diluted bleach and water dip before you use them. Would try to get scions from one source if you can.

1 Like

People ship scions all the time. Choose a week when weather forecast is free of extreme events (like an arctic vortex, snowstorms, etc.).

1 Like

Shipping during “cold weather” is subjective. I wouldn’t even think about cutting scions until late February at the earliest here. In more temperate areas, that would be late and many trees would already have swelling buds.

I figure it’s no different than a tree experiencing a few warm days in winter. We usually experience a January thaw here in upstate NY, after which it returns to frigid, sub-zero temps. Check with me at the end of Feb / early march, I have a lot of cider varieties and I’m in Z4a.