Shopping for a fruit dehydrator

Time for me to buy a dehydrator/fruit dryer. Just doing some general google/amazon searches makes it a bit scary. I’ve seen a thousand different model ranging from $14.99 to $499 !!! I’d really like to hear from you folks who have a particular model that you are happy with. I won’t be doing a lot of dehydrating at all so even the smallest ones would probably work. I don’t need anything of commercial quality or size. This being my first ever experience with dehydrating, I’d like to start with something fairly inexpensive and then move up if I enjoy it.

Anyway, I’m just interested in hearing anything anyone has to say about what to look for or what you have and how you like it. Thanks

1 Like

Lots of folks here use many different models, so you should get a good survey of what people like.

We have used the round stacked tray models in the past. They do work, but can be picky about layout of the fruit in them and seem to require turning and moving stuff around to get even drying. We upgraded to an Excalibur brand dehydrator a few years ago, and have never gone back. Stuff in the Excalibur dries evenly without turning. And you can dial in the temp you want it to work at. Hard to beat, IMO.

3 Likes

I bought this one. I have only used it 4-5 times but it did a great job when I’ve used it

Magic Mill Pro Countertop Electric Food Dehydrator, (Stainless Steel) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076HFCW4R/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_8brkDbY8B2T5Q

I’m very happy with my Nesco similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Nesco-Snackmaster-Pro-Food-Dehydrator/dp/B0091KJ9RK?ref_=Oct_BSellerC_1090752_0&pf_rd_p=0b026b0e-3beb-5143-97b9-b927266da20d&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-10&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=1090752&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=V4T19SCMEN3C338TGNQG&pf_rd_r=V4T19SCMEN3C338TGNQG&pf_rd_p=0b026b0e-3beb-5143-97b9-b927266da20d

I did burn out one heater but I’ve used these a lot with good results. Just as good as the $200 steel model I had earlier.

3 Likes

Excalibur dehydrators are the best IMHO. Try to find one on Amazon’s warehouse deals. The original box may be damaged or missing, but the cost savings are fantastic.

3 Likes

I second Nesco, but different model:https://www.amazon.com/NESCO-FD-1018A-Gardenmaster-Dehydrator-White/dp/B00GN7O1PO/ref=asc_df_B00GN7O1PO/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167155690034&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=975900991539330129&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001842&hvtargid=pla-273770055291&psc=1,
it works for fruit, herbs and even meats - I made natural raw Jerky for my dogs in it as well.

2 Likes

Here was a past thread on a similar topic:

I have the Nesco FD-1040 which is a good one, but sometimes wish I had a bigger one as I am dehydrating bigger quantities as my production increases.

3 Likes

I don’t know other brands and models, but this works well for me. When comparing with others, I think it is important compare square inches surface areas/$ as well as dehydration efficiency and other features. The one that fits your budget and can handles the volume is the best one

3 Likes

Thanks for all the great responses. I’m going to look at all the models suggested and buy one for sure.
@scottfsmith I’m a little embarrassed that there was already a thread for this. Hopefully you’ve noticed by now that I almost always do a search for an existing thread before I start a new one, but apparently I blew it this time! Thanks again.

1 Like