Short edibles for parking strip

I would love to see pictures of your bog conversion. Very interesting.

2 Likes

I would love to see your big garden too!

1 Like

Itā€™s a work in progress! Iā€™ll be adding more to it in May when the Hartmanns order is in. But Iā€™ll be adding more sphagnum moss before then. Iā€™ll try to get some pictures tomorrow after I put another wheelbarrow load on.

Oh I wouldnā€™t call it bigā€¦ But Iā€™m trying to make the most of what I have available.

2 Likes

I adore hellstrip gardening (I see my thread was posted below). Here are my thoughts.

1. I wouldnā€™t grow anything edible in a hellstrip as-is.

Thereā€™s so much disgusting stuff sloshing aroundā€¦ oil and grease dripping from cars, salt and deicing chemicals, dog pee and poo - and sometimes people depending on where you live - and who knows what else. You donā€™t want that in your body.

An exception is if you use raised beds, and fill it with good soil.

1. Hellstrips are so dry and out in the open!

Itā€™s hard to water them properly, in most places - it can be far for hoses (depending on situation), setting up drip irrigation is tricky due to the sidewalk, and itā€™s just a space that tends to be more arid and deserty than the rest of the space. (For context, my trees all have a good layer of moss and lichen, we have mushrooms pop up everywhereā€¦ and still my hellstrip is a deserty dry baked strip of land.)

[Edit: ah I see you have a water tap there and can actually run drip lines - concern removed!]

Thatā€™s my personal reason for looking for tough native plants that are drought-resistant.

That said, raised beds can help meditate that, with the volume of soil and sun protection, especially if thereā€™s any water-holding stuff inside like punky wood.

1 Like

Pawpaws would need major shading in the first few years, and even then Iā€™m dubious how well they would do in a harsh spot like a hellstrip?

Half of my pawpaws croaked even with light tree shade and shadecloth.

1 Like