Should I have paper bags over my apricot grafts?

The temperatures here are in the high 60s, low 70s during the day and mid to high 40s at night. I put little bags over all my apricot grafts. But by the time I grafted my peach tree, I’d read that peaches need a lot of heat to callus, so I didn’t bag them. Do apricots need heat to callus too? Should I go back and take the bags off my apricot grafts?
Thanks folks!

Hi Liz

I only wrapped the grafts with para films but never bag any so far no problems with several hundred of grafts the last 10 years.

Tony

1 Like

You only need bags, if you’re afraid your grafts will get sunburned and to
help keep birds off of them.

1 Like

At those temps you want all the heat you can get. Apricots also need heat, just not quite as much as peaches do. Peaches will take a very long time to callous at those temps, make sure the scions are completely sealed with something to prevent them from drying out before they callous.

1 Like

Thank you all. Okay, off they go! @scottfsmith, at least my compulsivity is coming in handy here because I completely (over) sealed the grafts with parafilm. They get a layer of parafilm on the graft, then the tight electrical tape, then another layer of parafilm (partly because the electrical tape starts to unwind in the heat). On the scion buds, I make sure they only have two layers of stretched parafilm, in case three is too much, but they are definitely sealed. I also gave some of them a little water mist before wrapping them up because some things I’ve read recommend keeping everything moist. But I was worried it might add to the risk of fungus or rot, so I only misted 50% of the grafts. I kept records of what I did to each graft so that I can try to sort out what variables helped and what didn’t. But in Northern California, especially by the ocean, we can’t count on having a week of low-mid 80s for grafting, at least not in spring or early summer, so I had to do those peaches in less-than-optimal temps. Fingers crossed. Thanks again.